Maybe I would have wanted kids

The pain had disappeared. Everything was gone. Was I dead? Like really dead? I shifted around until I bumped into something. Surprised, my eyes flew open and I made a gasping sound. Blinking, I looked around. I was in Heather's and Kilian's house on the floor, holding Klaus' t-shirt to my chest. Next to me, someone had put my trousers that I'd taken with me from my time. On top of them was a small glass bottle with a piece of paper beside it. After inspecting these surroundings, I turned my attention to what I'd hit in my unconscious state.
"Good morning, love.", a smile was upon his face. "Glad you're alright."
"Klaus?", I couldn't believe my own eyes. "Am I still dreaming?"
"Yes." His hand moved to my head, taking a strand of hair and then letting it fall onto my shoulders once again. "You are."
"Where are Heather and Kilian?", I wanted to know since they were nowhere to be seen. Though I guess if this was a dream, they wouldn't just be in it.
"Asleep in the other room. I'm sure they'll be glad to know you're okay. They were so worried.", he explained and my mouth twitched upwards. They were so sweet.
"So, this is where you've been all this time.", he looked around. "It has a comfortable feeling to it, for sure."
I nodded and sat up steadily to have a better look at him. "I came looking for you. But Rebekah guessed you didn't want to see me."
He chuckled. "That's just like her. She was probably right though."
I ignored the heartache that claim gave me and just gave him a questioning gaze.
"Your secrets aren't good for us and I'm not able to control myself yet. I think it's just better if we take a break for a bit. I wouldn't constantly be reminded of the fact that the love of my life kept secrets and you wouldn't have to feel guilty. Give me time, Caroline. Just a bit longer.", he pleaded and gently put one of my locks behind my ear.
"If you promise not to forget me.", I phrased as a condition and he chuckled to himself. "I could never, you should know that."
We heard a noise from somewhere else in the room and he got up to his knees.
"It seems like your friends are waking up.", he stated, turning his face to me one last time. "Take care of yourself, Caroline."
"You", I started but he was already gone "too."
With a sigh, I let myself drop to the floor again and closed my eyes. What had just happened? Had Klaus been real? Or just a dream? How was I alive? All the confusion was messing with my head like crazy.
"Caroline?", Heather's voice reached me through the dizziness. "Are you awake?"
I eyed her, now fully aware of my surroundings.
"I'm okay. I'm awake.", I breathed out and finally felt really alive again. Heather pulled me into a glad hug and held me closely to her chest while crying.
"Oh my god, you're okay. It worked, it worked.", she sobbed. "I'm so happy it worked."
"What did?", I wanted to know and she unwillingly let go of me to explain everything.
"We looked through your stuff to find something to help and in the pockets of your trousers there was this small bottle filled with blood. We were so confused as to what that was and then we read the letter.", she picked up the piece of paper and handed it to me. "You should probably just read it yourself."
Cautiously, she handed me the letter and I opened it up to see Klaus' handwriting. Quietly, I began reading.
"My dearest Caroline,
you're asleep next to me right this moment, I didn't dare to wake you  since you look so peaceful resting. As we're heading to face Silas, I can't help but have a bad feeling about all this, I fear he may do something to you and I won't be able to help in person. Just as a precaution, I decided to give you a bottle of my blood in case anything happens. You may find it silly but I cannot help but worry, I can't lose you again. If you read this, I hope it'll be helpful. Whenever you need this, use it, so I can be by your loving side always and forever. I love you.
Yours, Klaus."
After I finished reading, I pressed the letter close to my heart, smiling to myself. He had saved my life without even being here himself.
"He seems very caring.", Kilian smiled  "And thank god that he thought something like this could happen, else we would have lost you."
Heather nodded. "That would have been unbearable."
Then she suddenly smiled brightly at me. "And you know what else this means, right?"
"What?", I wasn't quite sure what she was implying.
"Well, there are many unexplainable things, like how you were able to hold onto his shirt even though he died but one thing is certain. If right now, the blood exsisted in this state, he is alive in your time. We can't say how it will carry on throughout the times until we manage to successfully create the spell but as of right now, he's alive."
I covered my mouth with my hand as I held back happy tears. It was working. He was alive. Oh god, he was alive. Everything seemed worth it in this moment.
"Speaking of Klaus, why did you call for Klaus? Or better how?", I asked curiously, remembering him telling me how they had contacted him.
"We didn't, he wasn't here.", Heather said confused. My heart sank. "Oh."
Kilian raised his eyebrows. "Why? Did you see him?"
I nodded. "But it was just an illusion then."
My hope of it being real was gone now. But the happiness behind the thought of Klaus being alive in my time did make it just a bit better. Somehow though, I couldn't shake the feeling, vision Klaus did have a point about the part of needing time. I decided, I would stay with Heather and Kilian until I had the sense I could return. Actually, I imagined my two friends could use my help with babysitting and they both seemed busy a lot. Maybe it would be much appreciated if I stayed?

Time passed as the days flew by and Heather grew moodier by the second. When she finally started screaming on the top of her lungs one day, we were almost happier about her moodswings ending than the actual birth. That quickly changed though as she painfully cried out while receiving. It was just us three and another townswoman who was practiced with situations like these. After almost two hours, it was over and it was clear it had been worth its time. Kilian and Heather cried when  they saw the little newborn and even I was moved to tears.
"It's a girl.", the other woman stated and gave her to Heather who offered the baby a look that only a mother could give her child.
"She's beautiful.", Kilian smiled. Then it seemed like he remembered something and grinned at his wife. "Do you want to tell her or should I?"
"Go ahead.", Heather laughed exhausted as the carresed her daughter.
"Caroline, we have a surprise for you.", he turned to me.
Cought off guard I didn't know what to expect. What did he mean, surprise? His daughter had just been born and there was something he had for me?
"When you were dying, Heather and I spoke about how you saved their lifes. And we came to an agreed conclusion. Would you like to be the child's guardian?", he smiled.
My mouth fell open. Were they serious? Oh my god.
"Would I like to?", I repeated. "Of course! I- I don't even know what to say, I feel so soo honoured. Thank you."
Heather held out her arms to me. "Would you like to hold her?"
With the utmost care I could offer, I took the little human up into my arms.
"Hey sweetheart.", I smiled. "Have you chosen a name for her yet?"
"Indeed.", Kilian's grin started growing even wider. "Meet Elisabeth Caroline."
"You named her after me?", I couldn't believe it. My eyes looked down at the girl once again. She was so small and so vulnerable. A little angel but with much needed protection. There was no way, I would let anything happen her. Ever. This girl would have a wonderful childhood, I would make sure of that! She shifted a bit in my arms. Seeing her like the little being she was made me think of what I'd remembered from my hallucinations, me wanting kids and all. Maybe I would have. Especially with the person I loved the most. Some day, I would have appreciated it. Well, at least I now had this little cutie to take care of. That was better than noting, right? I think, Heather knew ny thoughts because she shot me a look filled with pity. I didn't need that. Being a vampire was still good for me, it changed me for the better. Not having children was a side effect I had to deal with. Pity wasn't what people should be showing me.
Elisabeth pulled me away from my thoughts as she started screaming. Nervous, I handed her back to Heather and had her calm her down. Since the new parents were distracted by their daughter, I silently disappeared outside. There was so much still before me. Elisabeth's upbringing, my reunion with Klaus after he had enough time for himself. When that would happen, I had no idea. But I did know that this was for the best. Besides, I was eager to see the little one grow, take her first steps and learn new things every day. Surely, teaching your child about the world would be so satisfying even if also exhausting. I wondered what kind of parent Klaus would be. Maybe a strict Dad that wanted to see his daughter be safe and show her the bond of always and forever. Perhaps a bit uncertain at times, scared to tell her about his past or proud about what he was and she'd be. What kind of being would his daughter be born as? Werewolf? Hybrid? I couldn't wait to find out some day. No doubt, she would be just as sweet as Elisabeth. Hopefully, I would fix everything and see her in a quiet moment. I'd come this far. If I went on like this, with new found strengh, then I could do it. It would work. It had to.