The One I Return To

Home...

What was home? I couldn't stop asking myself that question as I walked to and fro, considering whether to return to my century or not.

Home was my family, my mother, and my friends. Elena, Bonnie, Stefan... everyone who cared and was there for me.

Home was the twenty-first century, with my plans of college, even though those seemed so far away.

But home was also here. The family of Heather, Kilian, their children, and grandchildren, especially my sweet Ellie.

Home was always and forever, the Mikaelsons at my side. I deeply valued my friendship to both Elijah and Rebekah.

And then, there was Klaus. Home was him. To be with him, love him, do whatever I had to for him. I had killed for him, traveled through time, and found him over and over again.

I would move heaven and earth to save him, and I had, in defiance of another reality. I could not be without him.

Both his past and present self were dear to my heart and had my unconditional love.

Even so, there was always a time for everything. I did not wish to live as Ellie and her children died and were buried deep underground. I wanted her to be by my side when I returned to the future.

I exhaled shakily. My decision had been made. There was someone waiting for me, and it was time to go back.

Rejoining the witches and Klaus, I reached my love's hand. He intertwined our fingers and squeezed them tightly to show me his support.

"You look determined," Ellie said after examining my face. "I reckon, you have made your choice."

"Yes," I answered, "I have."
My eyes twitched to Klaus, afraid of how he would react to the news. He gave a reassuring smile, sensing what I had to say.

"I shall return to my time," I said softly, "we should perform the spell as soon as possible. I want you all by my side."

Ellie gave a nod. "I expected as much. We have already chosen an object, which will carry our memories of you. Anyone who wishes to remember you, should bring us an object throughout the day. Will you inform your friends?"

The rest of the Mikaelsons were hesitant, unable to fully grasp why they would forget me once I was gone. They did not know about the future, only Klaus did.

Yet they all searched for an object and handed it to the witches. They all chose wisely, it had to be something they were certain to always have with them, or at least something, they could easily regain.

After the sun had passed its zenith, every object had been spelled, except for one. Klaus had yet to choose.

I found my boyfriend outside, watching his unconscious father. There was no need to run - as soon as the spell was performed, none of this would have ever occurred anyways.

"Honey, Ellie is waiting for an object," I told him while taking a seat next to him. He beckoned me closer and put an arm around my waist.

"I know," he whispered, "and I already have one. I just came here to think."

"To think about what?" I asked. "You don't regret telling me to go, do you?"

"No, do not worry. Like I said, I know my future self will rejoice having you back. You're right, it's time for you to go back to him," he sighed.

"I'm going back to you." I let my head rest on his shoulder. "Don't think of your future self as someone detached from yourself. It is only you I love. That's why I came here in the first place. Because I love you."