Lost in Time

"And you're sure you want to do this?" Bonnie asked once more.

Together, we stood in the middle of unlit candles and herbs. My best friend held her grimoire, her spell book, closely to her chest. With worry in her eyes, she met my determined gaze.

"For the one-hundredth time, yes. I have complete trust in you, Bonnie. It will all work out fine," I reassured her. "The only reason, I decided to help you in the first place, was because I know you can pull this off!"

My friend nodded. I knew, she appreciated my trust. Yet, she was concerned. She had told me, the spell she needed to perform wasn't easy. According to her, however, she had no choice but to use it. Apparently, Stefan had found a way to defeat Silas, an enemy we desperately needed to get rid of. His plan involved an object, one that no longer existed. The spell was supposed to bring said object from the past to our present.

How exactly such a thing was supposed to work was unknown to me. Bonnie couldn't give me an answer either. Nevertheless, I had no doubt, Bonnie would work the spell as deftly as ever. If she needed my help, I would never refuse her.

"You came back from travelling the world with your Mom to help out. It must be important," I said, "and like you explained to me, we have no time to lose. That is why we couldn't bring the other in, right?"
Bonnie smiled. "Yes. Thank you for trusting me."

I gave an encouraging nod. Still, under my breath, a sigh escaped my lips. After everything that had happened, I had hoped to be rid of Silas for good. I just wanted to enjoy my summer with my boyfriend, Tyler, who finally, thanks to Klaus, was allowed back in town. While he hadn't come back yet, I was sure he would very soon. Shouldn't he be eager to see me again?

What are you doing, Caroline, I mumbled quietly, you have more important things to do than think about your gone boyfriend.

Meanwhile, Bonnie had placed the grimoire on the ground and started lighting the candles.

"Are you ready?" She turned to me.
"Yes."

Calmly, the girl started chanting. To me, it sounded like gibberish. Ancient words, I had no chance to understand. The candles' flames flared up and suddenly, a strange feeling arose in my stomach. I felt unsafe and my gut started churning. Something didn't feel quite right. But I could trust Bonnie. She would never endanger me. Right?

"Care, give me your hand," Bonnie demanded unusually gruff. For a moment, I hesitated. Then, I forced myself to take my best friend's hand. The second, our skin touched, all air was sucked out my throat. My blood stung in my veins, burning up as if going to explode and a scream crossed my lips as the pain increased.

"Bonnie, what's happening?" I coughed, but got no answer. Muscles and sinews spasmed violently and my fingers started to slip from Bonnie's hand. Anxiously, I tried clutching onto her, but my body went numb.

As my conscience started fading, the room vanished before my eyes. When I tried reaching for my friend again, she was no longer there. Surrounded by emptiness, I was sent flying, spinning through the dark. Images popped up around me, flashing as if a film was being played backwards at twice the speed. Hoping to gain clarity, I closed my eyes, not noticing how my body crashed onto green grass. My bones ached and gave in to the fall.

I groaned and opened my eyes again. The pain was unimaginable. Slowly, my broken bones recovered. With intense care, I tried moving a finger and immediately scoffed. It might be better to lay there until my body had finished healing. In the meantime, I turned my head and examined my surroundings.

The green of the grass looked healthier than I remembered. How had I been transported outside anyways? Around me, the wind sang a song, purring through the trees. Nature's sound mixed up with chattering voices in the distance.

After I could move once again, I slowly got up. Maybe the people I heard could tell me where I was. Even though, when I thought about it, the more important question was how I'd gotten here, but I had doubt someone could answer that.

My skinny trousers were dirty from my unpleasant landing and my t-shirt hadn't been spared either. My curly hair was all fuzzy and my thoughts were filled with a heap of questions.

Wooden houses came into sight. Surprised, I stopped in my tracks. What was this? Some kind of weird live-action role play village? Those buildings looked like they'd been built in the Viking ages.

I spotted women in long dresses, their hair braided and men with long-sleeved shirts and swords dangling from their belts. This definitely had to be some movie set or role play. Why else would they be wearing such clothing?

Unsure, I moved closer. A strange feeling took hold of me and listening to my instincts, I grabbed a nearby dress and changed clothes. Only then did I continue walking into town, hoping not to encounter whoever this dress belonged to.

As I made my way around the square, I noticed the different behavior everyone here exhibited. Their talk, their glances in my direction... I was certain, something was off. Not paying attention to where I was going, I accidently bumped into someone, causing me to stumble to the ground. In surprise, I looked up at the person, who offered me their hand.

"I am so sorry," the girl above me stated with an awfully familiar voice. "I did not see you coming."

My eyes widened in shook as I grabbed her hand and let her help me up.

"You're a new face around here," she noted. "Nice to meet you. I'm Rebekah, daughter of Mikael."

And in that moment, I realized what had happened.

I was lost in time.
Somehow, I had been sent back and was now stuck in a time before the existence of vampires.
A time, where the Original family, the Mikaelsons, were still human.