The Sun Burns But Not As Much As Feelings Do

Ayana took me in without further questions. She saw it through a practical lens, saying if I lived with her, we could perform the spell and send me back as soon as it was ready.

"How much longer will it take?" I wanted to know.
"Not long, a few days, perhaps. I almost have everything I need."

A few days. With that thought in my mind, I roamed the town alone.

The Mikaelsons had probably figured out the sun burnt them by now. It would take several days for them to discover the daylight rings, maybe longer than the rest of my stay in this time.

Klaus and I had spoken about where to meet and I headed there at the break of dawn. It was his favorite place, the tree on the hill. As I waited, I sat down on the grass. Resting my nervous mind, I looked at the beautiful view of the stars.

"What a wonderful sight for sore eyes," Klaus whispered, suddenly above me.
"The stars are very bright again," I said.

His face was hovering so closely to mine that our noses were just inches apart. His slow and steady breath brushed my cheeks and sent warm flushes trough me.

"Are they? I haven't noticed," he smirked.
"But you - oh."
I blushed even more, realizing what he'd meant by sight for sore eyes.

He moved away and took the spot right next to me, his knee intentionally touching mine.
"Everything is so different," he sighed. "You wouldn't believe the things we can do now."

I would but he had no knowledge of that. I bit my lip, overcome by a sense of guilt about the secret.

"We are incredibly fast and strong, it's unbelievable. But the sun burns us. And everything we feel, it all seems," he paused, searching for the right word.
"Heightened?" I suggested.

"Yes." He turned to face me. "What Mikael did was appalling. He took our human lives, forcing us to feed on others for survival. I don't want to hurt anyone. Yet I fear this hunger might consume me one day. It may turn me into something I am not."

My heart ached. His pain and fear was plain to see in his eyes and every bone in my body wanted to pull him closer to me to commiserate him in his suffering.

"I hope, I am not bothering you by telling you this?" he misread my expression.

"Not at all," I smiled and took his hand in mine, as careful as I could. "I'm happy you talk to me about it."

"I must admit, it feels right talking to you. Like I can entrust you with everything and you would always know what to do," he said soflty and squeezed my hand in ardor.

"Do not mistake, I am far from perfect," I sighed. He placed my hand on his chest, more specifically the area where his heart was.

"I don't care, Caroline! To me, you are impeccable. Like no one was before! You are special!"
I chuckled. He sounded an awful lot like his future self. Perhaps they were not as different as I'd initially thought?

"Say, love, there is something that has bugged me since last night. A lot of things, actually," Klaus shifted his tone and let go of my hands.
"What do you mean?"

"Well firstly, the girl we drank from had a strong scent of blood. You do not. And then I remembered that one time you were so unnaturally fast to stand up. Something did not feel right about that. Plus you knew I couldn't leave when the sun was up, didn't you? You asked for a meeting specifically at night."

I swallowed nervously.
"I didn't know. You're probably imagining things."

"I don't think so. You can no longer fool my stronger senses with your subtle furtive behavior. Be honest, you aren't human, are you? You're like us. Immortal."

"No," I lied, one last attempt to keep my secret. He raised his brows and my defenses melted away under his careful glance. With a nod, I gave in.

"How?" he asked. "Did my father turn you? No, he couldn't have. He thinks you are dead. I don't understand. Explain it to me, Caroline!" His voice turned demanding.
But what could I say? Certainly not the truth.

"It's complicated. Let's just say, maybe I am immortal just like you, but I can't tell you the reason."
"Why not? Don't you trust me?"

"What? No! Of course, I do trust you," I said quickly. I had to think of a plausible lie. It was the only choice. "But I'll die if I say the reason."

"Oh." His face dropped. "Why?"
"A witch back home. It's complicated and a long story."
At least that last part was not made up.

He chewed down on his lip in thought. "The important thing is you are immortal. We can spend an eternity together."

"What?" I took a sharp breath. Was he serious?

"Every time I look at you, I want to be with you so badly! You're perfect, Caroline."

The sparkle in his eyes turned to a different kind of hunger. Desire.

My throat dried and I licked my lips, noticing he was monitoring my movements closely.
"Klaus, I - I'm sorry but I can't - I have to leave soon,", I excused.

"You're immortal, you have a thousand years until you must go back. We can be together! I might even be able to accompany you wherever you go!"

Be together? Wait, I had suspected his desire to be only physical. Had I been wrong? Did he have feelings for me?

"Klaus, let me explain. You are a fresh vampire and you are not ready for this. My friends are human, at least some of them are, blood vessels in your eyes. Not to forget all the trouble waiting for me. They need me right now."

"You really want to leave me?" he asked hurt, and his eyes darkened.
"I have no choice, I'm sorry." Another half-truth. In a way, I had a choice, I just felt it wasn't mine to make. His future was set in stone without me.

Klaus jumped to his feet, fury raging through him.
"Fine! Go! I was right, this is a weakness. Don't expect me to care about you after this.

I looked away. That stung. Each word had pricked me like a needle, yet he didn't seem to notice. True to his word, he left without another care for me.

I was left alone in my own darkness.

Announcement:
Hey everyone! I hope you liked this chapter? What do you think of the overall story so far? Feedback in the comments is always welcome!
Anyways, what I actually wanted to ask you guys is the following:
As you all know, December is approaching fast and with it Christmas and New Years Eve. So I want you guys to decide when you want two chapters published at once:
On the 24th of December
Or on the 30th of December?
Both days are Mondays in my time zone and both times it's supposed to be a present from me to you all in order to celebrate both events.
What date would you prefer? Write your opinion in the comments!
Thank you all for your amazing support, love you all and have a great day!
Sincerely, me