I Cry My Heart Out

The arms pulled me back and I was forced to turn around.

They weren't insensitive or brusque, more the opposite. I found myself in a soft embrace, my head gently pressed to the person's chest. By the smell of clothes and skin, I could instantly tell who it was.

"Klaus, what are you...?" I cried. He shook his head and made a shushing sound, tenderly caressing my back.

Not letting me go, he led me to a quieter place, away from the people staring at my emotional outburst. He lightly pushed me to the ground and dropped himself next to me, tightening his sweet embrace of comfort.

"Whatever happened to make you this sad, Caroline?" he asked in a low voice. "Has something gone wrong?"
"Yes, everything," I sobbed. "It's all fallen to pieces."

"And what do you mean by everything?"
I pressed my face into his shirt, tears still pouring out my eyes.

"Well, I find out that my best friend, who I thought brought me here, is actually dead and has been for a long time. The one who actually sent me, pretended to be her in a rouse and is working for an enemy."

I paused shortly to gather my breath.

"And my boyfriend, who was supposed to be super worried and waiting for me, doesn't care at all and completely forgot about me. He isn't even aware, I'm gone. Plus, the enemy I mentioned is out there doing bad stuff."

My hands clung to him, as he slowly moved one hand up and down my back while his other was going through my hair.

"I need to go back, I know that. But I'm scared, Klaus. I'm so scared. Everything is bad there. I just want to be happy. To have someone care for me in an exciting way, showing me the world, protecting me and loving me unconditionally. But I will never have that. Never. The world forbids it. Every time I think I have it, someone takes it away. Just like that," I sobbed. "It's not fair."

"Breath, my love. I know how you feel." He put his chin on my head, his long hair tickling my skin.
"I cannot do anything about your dead friend but let me tell you this: a man who let's go of your love and care isn't worth it. He doesn't know what he has lost. A great loss on his hands if you ask me."

His hand kept stroking me as benevolently as possible. "Furthermore, I do not think, the world is out for you. It cannot be. Please remember that you are strong. I have seen only parts of it, but I would be a fool to overlook what I have gotten to know."

He moved his chin away, instead planting a kiss on my forehead. I nodded, still sobbing, though not as much as before.

We stayed like this for a while longer. He never stopped embracing me. At some point, I snuggled closer to him, and he let me with a smile.

That made everything just a bit better.