The Girl He Loves

"My name is Caroline."

Immediately, I cursed myself for giving up this information. I was supposed to prevent exactly that. This could impact the future! Who knew to what extent?

I sighed quietly. There was nothing to be done about it now. Whatever damage this could cause had already been done.

"Caroline..." Klaus whispered, talking to himself, "a pretty nname."

"An unusual one, if I may add," Elijah said, smiling at me.
"I guess so?" I laughed unsurely.

"Glad to know you remember it," Rebekah spoke.
Her eyes twitched to movement behind her brothers and a grin spread on her face. She'd noticed something or rather someone.

"Love alert," she giggled. Both Elijah and Klaus instantly turned around.

I saw her too. Long, brown hair, her face exactly like Elena's. Tatia. The Original doppelganger.

The girl, Elijah and Klaus were desperately in love with, which explained their nervous faces and awkward behavior.

Leaving us with not another glance, the boys headed her way.

Their voices were still loud enough to catch with my sensitive vampire hearing. I tried shutting them out, not wanting to eavesdrop but felt myself listening in anyways. My curiosity had gotten the better of me.

"Tatia, you look stunning today, as always," Klaus charmed the young woman.
"I see you have brought the sun out with you. Not a surprise, considering your beauty," Elijah joined in.

I could see the youth and eagerness in their expressions, even from afar. They had not been broken by the world yet, had they?

"Will you be at the feast later, love?"

Love... So, he used that word already? With her? Why did that bug me?

Smirking, he continued sweettalking her. It bothered me, it truly did. I was used to him trying to gain my affections. Why was I being this ridiculous?

As a human, I had mostly been the second choice, no matter what I did. Never with him. Until now.

Actually, all things considered, I wasn't even second choice in his eyes. I was non-existent.

Shaking my head slightly, I settled my thoughts. Of course, I was. It was crucial to be. I wasn't even born yet and wouldn't for decades.

I shouldn't be here. I didn't want to be here! No, I wanted to go home. See Tyler. Be normal.

Normal... who was I kidding? I was a vampire; I couldn't be normal.

A sudden headache made my body shiver and I stumbled over my own feet. Rebekah noticed, catching me just in time.

"Caroline, are you okay?" she worried.

I tried to answer, but my vocal cords wouldnt let me. It hurt. My whole body was in pain.

Make it stop, I thought.
"Caroline?"
Bonnie? Had I heard her voice just now? Where was she? Was she here to get me?

"Bonnie?" I asked, hopeful. "Is that you?"
"Yes, it's me. Can you hear me?"
"I can! Oh my god! I can!"

Joy arose in me. Surely, I could return home with her!

"Are you here to bring me back?" I wanted to know.
"Unfortunately I don't know how to do that," Bonnie's voice echoed in my ear, "I'm sorry. I'm working on it. Where are you?"

"The time where Klaus, I mean, where the Originals are still human," I answered.
"Okay, I'll try to figure out, how to get you back. But if you're there that gives us a unique opportunity."

Her voice sounded warped, weirdly unlike herself. Was this because of the magic fading?

"What do you mean?" I wondered. Her next words startled me.
"You could kill them, Caroline. You're stronger than them!"

Was she being serious?
"Kill them?" I repeated. "Why?"

"Think about it! How many lives you could safe! Only they would die since they're not vampires yet. Do it!"

Something wasn't quite right. Why would she want that? My own life was at stake if I actually went through with her instructions. It would change the course of history!

Violently, I was pulled back and everything went black. When I opened my eyes once again, Rebekah and her two brothers were bent over me.

"Are you okay?" the blonde asked.
"I think I am." I sat up carefully.

Two arms grabbed my body in a gentle manner and helped me stand up. Glancing to the side, I noticed it was Klaus. I gave him a soft smile.

He did not return it, worry in his eyes. I'd seen this look before, almost every time he had saved me. Had that not changed? Was he still the same in some parts?

Bonnie's words returned to my mind.

"Kill them. Do it."

Bonnie was bold, but not dumb. It made no sense for her to ask something like this of me. My friend was smart, she would consider the consequences. Especially because there were so many!

There would be no vampires to begin with, which would result in Stefan living out a human life and Elena dying in the car crash with her parents!

All of our lives would change! I would still be human. It hurt to admit, but I didn't want that. I liked me better like this. Though, it hadn't always been that way. What had changed my mind?

My eyes were still on Klaus. He had. On my birthday, when he'd come to save me from the werewolf poison. Wait, why was I thinking about this?

"What happened?" I asked.
"You fell to the ground. Are you certain you are alright?" Elijah made sure. I nodded.

When he was convinced, I could stand by myself, Klaus let go of me.

"Thank you..." I stopped myself before saying his name, remembering I wasn't supposed to know it yet.

"Niklaus. But you can call me whatever you like," he smiled.

"I forgot, we did not mention our names before." Elijah cleared his throat. "I am Elijah, and I am pleased to meet you."
"I am Henrik!" the kid told me. As I'd expected.

"I see. You're the one I'm sleeping next to," I smiled and he looked at his sister.
"She is. Mother decided so."

All nodded. Their parents' words were not to be questioned.

I realized the sun was already starting to shift downwards. It would start to set soon.

Angry footsteps grabbed my attention. They were trotting right towards us. Turning around, I saw who the came from and froze.

Mikael.