Something New and Yet Familiar

Town square was already crowded with people, the festivities in full swing. A huge campfire burned brightly in the middle and lit up the nightly sky. It might be best to stay away from that area. I didn't want to risk getting to close to the deadly force of nature.

Somewhere in the back, I spotted the White Oak tree. Its wood could kill the Originals in their vampire forms. Right now, there would be no need for special sticks or daggers. They were humanly fragile, easily hurt. So different.

Once we reached the crowd, smiles spread across their faces. Their happiness was heartwarming and well deserved after what I'd seen with their father. They were no killers. They were just people. But for how much longer? How far away was the dreadful transition? A week? A year maybe?

Elijah and Klaus were gone in the blink of an eye, in search their beloved Tatia. They made their way to her, pushing away other suiters who already charmed the girl competitively. There was dancing involved too.

I didn't really feel like joining in, but Rebekah excused herself to enjoy the company of a few young men.

My attention was dragged back to Klaus, who laughed wholeheartedly. Could he have loved me at a time like this? If I had been born centuries earlier and met him as a human?

Did he have the same affection for present me like he showed Tatia? He was treating her as if she was his one and only, something I myself had wished for by my boyfriends a long time ago. Had he met me when I had been human, I probably would've fallen for him head over heels, had he treated me with such diligence. And if I wouldn't have known about all the bad things he had done.

My thoughts wandered to Tyler. Had he been told I was gone? Was he worried? Was he trying everything to get me back?

I had no chance of knowing nor would I ever if I continued to be stuck here. I needed to find a witch who could bring me back. Fast.

I missed home, my friends, Tyler. Bonnie should hurry up and find a way to get me out of here.

As this crossed my mind, I noticed Klaus leaving the crowd, pain written over his face. A part of me told me to leave it alone. Another had me standing up, vamp speeding after the man. I found him sitting on his own, face hidden in his hands.

"You okay?" I asked, taking him by surprise.
"Oh, Caroline, it is you. How did you get here so fast?" he wished to know. I shook my head.
"Does it matter? Also, I asked you something first."

A smile crossed his lips for just a second.
"Indeed you have. To answer it, I am okay," he lied.

"I'm not stupid. I don't expect you to trust me, I mean you met me today. But you look like you could use a talk. Tell me what's up," I begged. He chuckled.
"Fine, if you must know. It's about Tatia."

I could have guessed. However, it wasn't my place to speak, I should hear him out. He started telling me about some of his feelings. Here and there, I made my comments, which I hoped sounded as supportive as I intented them to be.

Hearing him talk about another woman was weird. I saw the emotions in his eyes, heard them when he spoke, with a gentle, calm voice that I remembered from my present when he was around me. Maybe, just maybe, I missed that too.

Klaus finished talking. I could see, he was feeling better. Something was so human about him, so different and yet so familiar.

Was there a possibility, I knew a human side of present Klaus? A human side of the monster, everybody told me to stay away from? The one who had done so many bad things?

I caught myself smiling.

"What are you smiling about?" Klaus asked, his mouth twitching upwards as well.
"It's nice, talking to you. I know the subject of the conversation isn't as great, but I still like it."

Surprisingly, I wasn't pretending.

He smirked, his dimples showing as clear as day.

"You give good advice, Caroline," he told me. "You also act like you know me though we have just met today. Do we know each other somehow? Have we perhaps met before?"

"We haven't," I laughed. "I just get along with people very well."
"I look forward to getting to know you better then. Though, as I now recall, you have lost your memories. My question from before was rather nonsense, excuse it."

I giggled.
"I think I would remember having met you in this state anyways."

"If you say so," he stood up.
"Perhaps we should head back, it's late and father doesn't like us being out at this hour. I fear the celebration has come to an end."

In fast human speed, we made our way back. He was right, the crowd had vanished, the people were making their ways back home. I didn't spot Klaus' siblings nor the Original doppelganger. Luckily, we arrived at an acceptable time so neither one got punished. Klaus got comfortable on the right side of Henrik who already was in dreamland. I went to my place to the boy's left.

"Goodnight Caroline," Klaus whispered.
"Goodnight Klaus."