xxvi. despite being a child of hermes, luke's car gets stolen

chapter twenty-six

─── despite being a child of hermes, luke's car gets stolen

         𝔉or the past few months on so, Luke had been travelling back and forth between camp, Annabeth and me to make sure that everything was alright

         𝔉or the past few months on so, Luke had been travelling back and forth between camp, Annabeth and me to make sure that everything was alright. I knew my boyfriend had been worried for his little sister, and how she was adjusting to living with her family once more, and I knew that he'd been worried that I was going to kill someone.

I'd protested, of course, that I was a model citizen (though Gabe's car, the bus, the school bus from fourth grade and now my school's gym would beg to differ), but that didn't mean I didn't enjoy seeing Luke. It was normally the highlight of my weeks, with him travelling from Camp Half-Blood to me.

"Andi." Luke whistled, getting mine and Tyson's attention as we ducked into the alley that he and Annabeth were waiting in.

"Where'd you find him ?" Annabeth demanded, pointing at Tyson, as I brushed my fake tears away.

"Tyson? He's a good friend," I replied, before accepting the water that Luke handed me.

"Is he homeless?" She asked again

"What does that have to do with anything? Anyway, why are you asking me? Ask him!" I replied, before shaking the ash out of my dark hair.

She looked surprised. "He can talk?"

"I talk," Tyson admitted. "You're pretty."

"Ah! Gross!" Annabeth stepped away from him.

"Okay, alright now." I calmed her, glancing at Luke before I turned back to my friend. "Tyson, are you're hands all right?"

I examined Tyson's hands, which I was sure must've been badly scorched by the flaming dodge balls, but they looked fine—grimy and scarred, with dirty fingernails—but they always looked like that.

"Tyson," I said in disbelief. "Your hands aren't even burned."

"Of course not," Annabeth muttered. "I'm surprised the Laistrygonians had the guts to attack you with him around."

Tyson seemed fascinated by Annabeth, watching her with wide eyes.

"Annabeth," I said, "what are you talking about? Laistry-what? Luke, explain, please."

"Laistrygonians. The monsters in the gym. They're a race of giant cannibals who live in the far north. Odysseus ran into them once, but I've never seen them as far south as New York before," Luke explained, as I nodded at the explanation.