22

Zayn Malik

Harry was being awfully quiet.

After he called me this morning, I realized how weird he was acting and also how he hadn't said a single thing about his job or about himself.

He never missed an opportunity to make things about him or tell me about his day, only this time he seemed to be in a hurry. I knew him better than he knew himself, he often forgot he was very easy to read once you got to know him.

Something was wrong, that I was sure of.

But I had a feeling he fucked up and he was afraid to tell his dad because he asked me to drop off a bag of weapons at some storage unit six hours away from my house. It was close to the city he told me he'd be working at, but I had no idea why he'd need more weapons when he clearly traveled with enough of them.

And I was very confused when he asked me for knives.

Harry had a perfect aim with guns but he was miserable with knives, he rarely used them unless he planned on torturing someone. Was he supposed to torture this client? Had someone stolen his weapons or maybe this job was more serious than he anticipated?

This was making my head hurt and I hated that he barely told me anything, I had a bad feeling about this. What if he needed help?

I was sure he knew he could count on me for whatever he needed, that's why I didn't hesitate to gather the weapons and ammunition into a large duffel bag and I was already on my way to the storage unit location.

It was a sunny day and I was excited about my date with June tomorrow. We were going to a pool party hosted by one of her friends and it was the first event we'd be attending as an official couple.

This thing was working out better than I thought, I must admit I was terrified that Cleo would somehow tell Harry about June, but when I stopped to think about it, it made no fucking sense.

They hated each other and Cleo wouldn't casually speak to Harry at all, especially with this new obsession of his that she was setting him up. I hoped this job was distracting him enough before he did something stupid, such as killing Cleo Horan.

Another thing I thought about was that she actually seemed to like June, and I doubted she'd risk her life by mentioning anything to Harry if they somehow ran into each other.

Cleo was unpredictable, though... she reminded me of Harry in that matter. And also the arrogance and pride, maybe that's why they hated each other and kept blaming one another for their parents' drama. I knew Harry sometimes struggled with himself, so dealing with someone so similar to him had to be a challenge.

When you stopped to think about it, they were angry because of something they didn't do. Harry didn't kill Cleo's father and Cleo didn't kill Harry's mother. They were a little too hung up on this if you asked me, but maybe my mentality was different because I never had a good relationship with my parents.

There wasn't this feeling of loyalty... I only felt this with Harry, and yes, I would kill and die for him. I knew he'd do the same and we weren't family.

Family drama was the worst thing of them all, especially since their parents had been rivals since they settled in New York City from what I'd been told. It was all fun and games before someone got killed and now here we were...

I was worried Harry was actually going to do something stupid and I wasn't going to be there to help him, and it was even worse when he tried to exclude me or pretend he could take care of things on his own.

He had done this once when he accidentally killed the wrong guy for a job about three years ago, and he ended up calling me a little too late... his father found out about and it was a mess, Harry could be so fucking impulsive sometimes.