63

Cleo Horan

"Is Zayn alright?" I asked Harry on our way to the backyard, because I hadn't seen Zayn since Amber left this afternoon.

Well, I couldn't blame him... there was no way I could relate to what he was feeling, even though she also lied to me. But they were dating and supposedly in love, considering a whole life together only to have it all thrown away. I honestly believed Amber when she told me she still cared about Zayn, and seeing their interaction today was proof that they loved each other.

That only made things even more complicated, though. It didn't change the fact she lied to him and pretty much used him as an informer without his consent.

Speaking of which, I really wanted to know who was this informer the FBI had to help with this case, I was so fucking curious... I just had a feeling it could be so helpful to us.

Amber was indeed quite helpful herself, I had never considered the things she said before, and now my brain was forming even more theories, and Harry and I had already rewritten the crime board.

We never thought that one of the trafficked kids could be behind this, but we had two things to work with. Did they only want to warn and use us to kill those who hurt them or abused them? Or did thuy think we were involved all along and this was a much more elaborate plan to kill us at the end?

What if they kidnapped Zayn precisely to use him as bait to kill us? What if we'd been looking at this wrong the entire time and they always knew Harry and I were together?

Fuck, maybe that's why they probably assumed we were also involved with the trafficking, and the list was an easy way to get our attention, and maybe they expected us to realize the truth about the trafficking all along. I mean, the kids would be around our age now and this could also be a message to our parents.. kill us after we killed my father's former clients.

I didn't believe Desmond and/or my mother were behind this anymore, they needed Harry and me to keep playing our roles and they were too fucking arrogant. Their attention was focused on trafficking. it made no sense for them to be behind the list... right?

This was driving me crazy, we spent the rest of the afternoon eating pizza and rearranging the crime board, wondering who the fuck these kids could be, but the more I looked at the little kids' pictures, the more confused I got. They looked the most common a child could look and I hated children, so I really didn't know how to solve this puzzle.

Harry actually agreed Amber was smart by considering this, but we still had nothing to do... if the FBI didn't find them, we wouldn't be able to find them either. And we couldn't go around asking, we still had to pretend we were too busy working and hating each other.

When in fact I was hiding in Harry's house and hoping Niall wouldn't call me saying my mother was looking for me.

"Zayn is in the guest bedroom... he's been there all afternoon. I brought him some pizza but he said he wasn't hungry." Harry's voice made me snap out of my thoughts and I glanced at him, watching as he opened the back door so we could walk outside.

We decided to practice a bit to keep our brains occupied with something else before it could explode, and I was very fucking restless thinking about all of this shit. I was glad I wasn't alone though, Harry's company meant more to me than he'd ever know.

He was the one who suggested we could practice a bit to take a small break. He was eager for me to teach him some fighting tips and I was a bit wary about the gun part, but being reminded of the disgusting things my parents did and my mother was still doing just made me wish I was an orphan.