72

Zayn Malik

"I have no idea how I always end up high when you're around." Cleo chuckled as she exhaled the thick smoke from her joint, glancing sideways at me.

Well, it wasn't my fault that she got high easily, but I assumed she didn't smoke weed as often as she smoked her regular cigarettes.

It was funny seeing her like this, I wasn't used to seeing her laugh or smile this much and she actually looked cute, which nearly made me forget the fact she had nearly cut off someone's head after simply snapping and losing control of herself.

She was dangerous... she reminded me so much of Harry, they had the same impulsivity but on different levels and for different things, but they were a menacing combination.

I didn't know he'd lie to her about Louis' death though, but I played along because he looked really fucking desperate to make sure she wouldn't know the truth. Maybe he was scared of her reaction once she learned that she was deeply disturbed and easily triggered, and that made her even more unpredictable.

She seemed so detached and numb, I was honestly concerned when Harry carried her out of the garage.

He had literally found his soulmate though, they were both happy with their crazy, but we were in a very delicate situation that demanded some level of mental stability they clearly didn't have, and that was concerning.

I wasn't blaming them, this was so fucking unfair and difficult. I mean, they learned some pretty fucked up shit about their families and this whole list thing going on was stressful and tiring, so I could understand why they were so on edge lately.

But that didn't change the fact they needed to get their shit together and lay low... killing Louis was a stupid move and I was afraid of what that could implicate in the future.

Harry and Cleo were so used to getting away with pretty much everything they did because of how powerful their families were that they forgot we were literally dealing with the government now... and there was a fucking body buried in the backyard.

When Harry asked me to spend some time with Cleo this afternoon while he talked to his father and then stopped by at Checkmate, I didn't hesitate to say I would. I just wanted to make him feel less stressed and nowhere was completely safe... they still had someone after them and I was also kidnapped.

I was being very careful and I knew they were trying to pretend things were normal to their parents and that they were still oblivious, because I had no idea what they were capable of doing if they found out Harry and Cleo knew the truth.

They seemed crazy enough to kill their own children to me, so I fucking hoped Harry and Cleo would chill the fuck out and let the FBI handle the situation.

I didn't trust Amber or the cops at all, but now that we were already involved with this shit, the safest thing to do was play along with them. My goal was to make it out alive and not end up in prison, and we were indeed criminals.

Speaking of Amber... Harry owed me big time for having me talk to her about what Louis revealed. I had to let her into my apartment and pretend I didn't want to bash my head against the wall, but it was the perfect distraction. And the most painful one.

I loved her... and I knew she loved me, despite it being the stupidest thing she could have done. But she put her job first and that was how her life was always going to be. She broke my heart and my trust, I honestly didn't think there was a way for her to get it back.

But it was good to know I was her weakness still... it could come in handy.

Telling her that other people were also starting to find out Catherine and Desmond were working together was a smart move, even though I had no idea how it could be helpful. I didn't know how this investigation worked, but it wasn't only about them.