Help is Around the Corner 9

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

Meredith wakes up in the morning with Addison's arms wrapped around her, and with Doc having migrated to her and Addison's pillows, resting on the tops of their heads.

She smiles when she feels Addison's arms around her. They're soft, warm, and cuddly.

She looks at the clock- it's only 4am, she can sleep for a few more hours, but she's awake now, and she listens to the even beats of Addison's heart, and her even breath sounds.

It soothes her, it makes her feel safe.

She wishes she could spend more time with Addison like this, just sleeping, and breathing, and existing.

Somewhere in the dark corners of her mind, she thinks she'd like to keep Addison here even after the insurance comes through, just so she can cuddle her to sleep every night. But she can't, I mean, that would be cruel. Addison is a refined woman, she should live in a nice house (not a frat house, like her house). She should live with her husband.

Husband.

The word makes Meredith's blood pressure rise exponentially, only now it's out of jealousy on the other side of things than before.

Since when does she hate that Addison's got a husband!? Since when has she started to feel indifferent that Derek's unavailable? Since when does she fantasize about them splitting up so she can see if Addison would ever try with her.

She doesn't even know if Addison is into women or not!?

All of these thoughts float around Meredith's mind as she studies Addison's face, all relaxed and calm in her sleep.

She's so pretty.

It's an understatement.

Addison is flawless.

She's tall, not too tall, but tall enough that her long legs attract Meredith's attention, and tall enough that she has to look up to talk to her, and she'd have to be on tip-toes to kiss her, and-

Oh no! She's thinking about kissing Addison, again!

She's got to stop this, she'll drive herself mad.

Sleep.

She should sleep.

Meredith decides she should sleep her way out of this crisis, and maybe her dilemmas will go away in the morning...

Friends.

JUST friends.

Meredith sighs, and curls herself under Addison's head, and closes her eyes, and does her best to fall asleep again.

The next time Meredith wakes up, it's right before her alarm goes off, and she takes in the extra seconds to admire Addison a little more.

She sorta wishes she could see Addison's eyes, because Addison's eyes are a pretty green color, but of course, she can't right now, because Addison is asleep.

Or, she was asleep, and now she's waking up, and Meredith finds her little yawns as she wakes up very adorable.

"Morning," says Meredith, tempted to reach out, and stroke Addison's face, but she doesn't.

"Morning," says Addison. Her voice is low, and husky, and it makes Meredith's insides clench.

"Did you sleep well?" Meredith asks her, even though she already knows the answer.

"I did," Addison practically purrs.

Or, to Meredith at least, she sounds like she is. It makes Meredith's insides clench, again, and she's glad that it's warm in this bed, because Addison's slight rasps in her voice, combined with her morning hair splayed across the pillow are causing Meredith to want her. Want her. Badly.

And it's not a comfortable situation for her to be in, staring wide-eyed at a gorgeous redhead who is currently in her bed, and knowing that she can't just lean in, and touch her (intimately), or just talk to her (dirtily), or just flirt with her (shamelessly).

Meredith's just frozen there, lost in thought, as Addison reaches out to touch her, and Meredith's breath catches.

"You seem troubled," says Addison, as she places her hand on the furrow of Meredith's brow.

"I um... Just tired," Meredith tries to put on a smile.

She hopes that Addison will drop it, but of course, she doesn't, and instead, she furrows her own brow, and looks at Meredith with compassion.

"Aw," says Addison. "Sorry to hear that."

"It's alright," Meredith smiles naturally now, and her eyes flicker when she sees how genuinely Addison seems to want to comfort her.

"Thanks," says Meredith.

Addison strokes her hair, and it's oh-so-tender, and Meredith just wants to fall asleep again, and have Addison wrap her arms around her so tightly she's wrapped up like a cocoon.

Meredith yawns.

"Ah, you are tired," says Addison, as she keeps stroking her hair. "We'll have to get you some coffee."

Meredith nods a little, and hums in approval, as Addison keeps soothing her.

The little 'we,' in Addison's sentence makes her giddy inside.

*

*

*

*

*

***** END OF CHAPTER 9