Help is Around the Corner 16

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

Addison naps for a little while, even though she can't sleep very well. She's woken up by a page from Meredith, probably wondering where she is, and she ignores it.

It kills her to be ignoring it, but if Bailey thinks that she's hurting her, she'll do it. She'll do anything not to hurt Meredith.

The next page she answers is Richard's, because he needs her to scrub in on a case.

"Are you going to be awake for this?" says Richard.

"Yes," says Addison. "I just had a nap, I'll be alright," Addison smiles stiffly.

"Alright then," says Richard. "Scalpel."

The case takes several hours, during which Addison concentrates. She's an excellent surgeon, and she won't let a little tiredness get in the way of her work.

She doesn't see Meredith again until the end of the day, and when she does, Meredith is glaring at her.

It causes some pangs in Addison's chest.

"You didn't answer my page!" Meredith says flatly.

"Sorry, I-" Addison sighs. "I fell asleep, and then I got called into a case..." says Addison.

Technically true, but she still feels like she's lying to Meredith.

"And you didn't page me when you were getting ready for a nap!? We had plans!" said Meredith.

"I'm sorry, Grey, I really am, I-" Addison huffs. She's not doing a good job of explaining herself.

"Grey!? What, I'm just an intern to you now? I thought we were friends, Addison," Meredith says, only now she's more upset than angry, and Addison really wants to take her into her arms, and make her feel better.

"Meredith, I'm sorry..." says Addison, looking into Meredith's tear-filled eyes.

She gulps.

"I went for a nap without you, but I missed you. I-" Meredith pauses. "I sleep better with you there, okay?" says Meredith quietly.

Meredith has no idea why she just admitted that part to Addison, but she desperately wants to make Addison understand how hurt she is.

"I should have paged you..." Addison says softly.

"Yeah, you said we'd have a nap together. You didn't even tell anyone to tell me you'd canceled," Meredith sniffles.

"I'm sorry-" says Addison.

"Look, I have abandonment issues. I always feel like people are gonna leave me, and we were getting so close. If you don't wanna hang out with me you can just say it now, because it's only gonna hurt more if it's later," says Addison.

"No that's not it, it's not it at all," says Addison. "I ah, I missed you too," Addison says, looking up into Meredith's eyes.

"I just ah... Look, Bailey roughed me up, and it spoked me that's all, and I- I don't want to hurt you, Meredith," says Addison.

"Well if you don't wanna hurt me, then talk to me. And keep your plans with me. I get it though, Bailey can be scary," says Meredith.

"Do you want to go home and we can have a nap together?" says Addison.

"I can't, I'm working the night shift tonight," says Meredith.

"Oh-" says Addison, and she's disappointed again.