Help is Around the Corner 36

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

Meredith and Addison giggle and eat lunch together until Addison gets a page from Derek.

"Must be the lawyers," says Addison.

"Yeah-" says Meredith. "Good luck."

"You too," says Addison, as she nods at both Meredith and the patient.

"So, we've reached the end of our divorce negotiations. Dr. Shepherd has chosen to purchase Dr. Montgomery's half of the Hampton's residence, Dr. Montgomery will be taking the New York Brownstone overlooking Central Park, Dr. Shepherd will be keeping his land in Seattle, and the rest of your shared assets, the stocks, bonds, etc. will be split down the middle. Now, are there any further questions before I give you the paperwork?" says the lawyer.

"No, I think that covers it," says Addison.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" says Derek.

"I'm sure, Derek," says Addison.

"Well alright then," says Derek.

The lawyer hands Derek and Addison each a copy of the divorce paperwork, and they sign them and switch, and within ten minutes, it's already over.

"Alright, congratulations, you are no longer married," says the lawyer before he takes his copy of the paperwork.

"We're divorced," says Derek.

"We are," says Addison.

"Our marriage is over," says Derek.

"It is," says Addison.

"It's a bit sad..." says Derek.

"I'm sorry Derek, I really am," says Addison.

"I know you are," says Derek.

"I didn't mean for it to end this way, but..." says Addison, sighing.

"Look I get it, you explained. I don't want to be with someone who doesn't want me, Addison," says Derek.

"Derek, I need to ask you something," says Addison.

"I thought not being married to me meant you didn't need to run things by me," Derek chuckles.

"It's about Meredith..." says Addison.

"And?" says Derek.

"It's about me and Meredith... I'd like to date her. And I don't want you to think it's because I'm throwing things in your face, or I'm being insensitive. I just really like her, and we've waited a while, and I still want us to be friends, and I just don't want to lose you completely," says Addison.

"You're a free woman, Addison. You can see whomever you like," says Derek.

"Are we still friends?" says Addison.

"We can be friends. It might take a while to get back to being best friends, but we can be friends," says Derek.

"Are you going to be okay?" says Addison. "For today I mean, are you going to be okay?" says Addison.

"I'll be okay," says Derek. "And I have Mark."

"You do have Mark, I'll get him for you," says Addison.

Derek nods, and Addison tries to find him.

"Derek's waiting for you," says Addison.

"Thanks, Red," says Mark.