Help is Around the Corner 26

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

"Quiet down, Derek," says Richard impatiently.

"We're not even divorced and she's sleeping with my wife-" says Derek.

"Do you have proof of that?" says Richard.

"Well no, but-" says Derek.

"No buts, Derek. Now I know you're angry, and upset as well, but this is not a reason that you would cause a public outcry like this at the hospital.

"My wife is leaving me... For my ex-girlfriend!" says Derek.

"And you're still a respected surgeon here at Seattle Grace. Please keep it that way," says Richard, as he motions for Derek to close the door behind him on the way out.

"Derek, what are you doing!?" says Mark, as he encounters him.

"She stole my girlfriend!" says Derek. "Or she stole my wife! I'm not sure which!" says Derek.

"I thought you were cool with it," says Mark.

"How could I be cool with it!?" says Derek.

"When we were talking about it-" says Mark, before Derek cuts him off again.

"When we were talking about it, I thought it was a joke. I didn't think she was going to ask me for a divorce, and I didn't think it was because she was actually in love with Meredith this whole time!?" says Derek.

"Derek, come on, the only two people who don't know that Addison loves Meredith are Addison and Meredith... And that's for them to figure out," says Mark.

"How did everyone know but me!?" says Derek.

"We tried to tell you," says Mark.

"Who's 'we,' I mean, you tried to tell me-" says Derek.

"Everyone was joking about it, I thought you'd see some truth in that," says Mark.

"I just can't believe it," says Derek.

"Come on, let's get you some coffee," says Mark.

"Coffee sounds good," says Derek.

"To cream, one sugar, right?" says Mark.

"At least you know my coffee order..." Derek grumbles as they make their way to the cafeteria.

Meanwhile, Meredith and Addison watch as Mark and Derek walk away from Richard's office.

"Can I speak with you?" asks Richard.

"Yes Richard-" says Addison.

"Yes, Sir," says Meredith.

"Don't be mad Richard, but I couldn't do it anymore, I wasn't feeling my marriage, and we weren't getting along, and-" Addison starts rambling while Meredith rubs comforting circles on Addison's back.

"I'm not mad-" says Richard.

"You're not?" says Addison, surprised.

"No," says Richard.

"We never cheated-" says Meredith. "What Derek was saying, we weren't actually, we never, we didn't-" Meredith rambles also.

"It's okay, I believe you," says Richard.

"We are getting a divorce," says Addison.

"You can use the conference room if you need to," says Richard.

"Thank you," says Addison.

"And I expect you both to still be professional, and for Derek to be professional. You'll get through this," says Richard.

"Yes, Sir," says Meredith.

"And one more thing..." says the Chief.

"Yes?" says Addison.

"If my wife talks to either one of you, will you let me know, and tell her to call me back?" says Richard.

"Umm, sure," says Meredith.

"For sure," says Addison.

"Well, alright then. You're dismissed," says Richard.

"Okay-" Meredith and Addison say, as they exit Richard's office.

"Well he took that well," says Meredith.

"Yeah," says Addison.

"So umm... I know it's maybe rude to ask, but it's been sorta bugging me, so I'm going to ask anyway, because we're friends, right?" says Meredith quietly.

"Sure," says Addison.

"Did you and Derek... Last night... Did you have sex or-" says Meredith shyly.

"Oh-" says Addison. "No umm... We didn't... Why?" says Addison.

"Is that why you're breaking up with him? Because the sex was bad? Was it because he couldn't 'get it up,' because that happens to some guys sometimes, I mean-" Meredith waves her hands in the air.

"Oh, umm, no... I mean, I don't know, but it wasn't because Derek couldn't- it was because I couldn't-" says Addison.

"Huh?" says Meredith.

"Oh, no, I mean, not like that, I mean, I don't have one of those, if y'know what I mean... But you probably know that already, but anyway yeah it wasn't because of him, it was because of me, because I couldn't get into it, and-" Addison also waves her hands in the air.

"Oh-" says Meredith.

"Yeah, I just couldn't, he didn't even touch me," says Addison. "Well, he tried to snuggle me after, but then we just kept elbowing each other," says Addison.

"Okay-" says Meredith.

"Yeah-" says Addison.

"Sorry yeah, I know it's not technically my business, but umm... I just wanted to know, that's all..." says Meredith.

She feels lighter knowing that Addison didn't actually sleep with Derek last night.

"I mean, now that I think about it, I do actually have one of those, I mean, not like, a real one. I mean, it's real, but not like, attached to me... Until I like, attach it, and it's made of silicone but-" Addison rambles until she sees Meredith's eyes shoot wide open, and her own eyes shoot wide open, and she gulps, and they both just blush and stare at each other.

Meredith thinks of the delicious mental picture of Addison wearing one of those in her bed, all ready and eager to-

"Dr. Montgomery, we have a patient here for you who has-" a paramedic interrupts them.

"Yes, excellent-" says Addison, relieved at an easy exit to this conversation.

"Can I come?" says Meredith, gesturing to the patient, and then hearing herself talk, and then getting flustered all over again, and then biting her lip and waiting for Addison to address her professionally.

"Yes, you can come, whenever you're ready-" says Addison, as she rushes off towards the patient.

Meredith takes a minute to compose herself and remind her innate dirty mind in what context they're currently talking, before she takes a deep breath and follows Addison towards the patient.

*

*

*

*

*

***** END OF CHAPTER 26