Help is Around the Corner 23

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

"Hi," says Addison nervously, as she approaches Mark and Derek.

"Hi?" says Derek.

"Hey," says Mark.

"So... I was wondering... If you wanted to have um... Sex tonight?" says Addison awkwardly.

"Sure-" says Mark.

"I meant Derek," Addison deadpans.

"Oh-" says Derek. "I guess," he shrugs. "Where are we going to have sex?" says Derek.

"Meredith suggested the couch?" says Addison.

"This is... Meredith's idea?" says Mark, curiously.

"Yeah umm..." says Addison. "She said we have each other, and I said I missed sex, so she suggested it..." Addison shrugs.

"So now you want to do it. When we haven't done it in ages. On a couch..." says Derek.

"Sure..." says Addison.

"I'll leave you two to do that," says Mark, pointing to the house.

"Okay..." says Derek, as he walks into the house, and Addison joins him.

Derek sits on the couch, and Addison sits next to him, and Derek looks at her.

And Addison just looks at him, as if she's forgotten what to do in this situation.

And maybe she has, because she's staring at her husband, trying to make herself want him, even if it's just for Meredith who thought it would be a good idea, but she's staring at this man who has been a part of her life for ages, who she loved, and now she doesn't feel the spark anymore.

Derek moves to touch her, but Addison takes his hands into her own, and stops him.

"I-" Addison quivers. "I can't..." she says. And then she bursts into tears. "I want to, I want to do this, but I can't..." says Addison.

"It's okay, it's okay if you're nervous. It's been a while, we can take it slow..." says Derek, now quite getting it.

"No, I can't now... And I don't think I can anymore. I loved you once, and I still love you, Derek, I really do..." says Addison, tears welling up in her eyes. "But just as a friend. You're my best friend Derek, and Mark's one of my best friends too. And I do love you, but just as friends. And I can't do this anymore. We're married, but we don't act like it. We don't talk like we used to, we don't make time for each other like we used to. And it's not fair for me to hold onto the idea of being married to you when I'm not really in it anymore..." says Addison.

"What does this mean?" says Derek.

"It means..." says Addison. "It means I think we should take a break... Actually, scratch that, we were already on a break. I want to break up," says Addison. "Like really break up. I know divorce is scary, but I think it's the only way-" says Addison.

"You're breaking up with me?" says Derek.

"Yeah," says Addison. "I'm breaking up with you."

"Can I ask why?" Derek asks you.

"I just told you," says Addison.

"No, really, why? Is it me? Is it Mark? What's really going on with you, Addison?" says Derek.

"I don't know, I'm just so confused... But I know that I can't stay married to you. I'm so sorry," says Addison.

"It's okay..." says Derek. "I don't want someone who doesn't want me, Addison," says Derek with his McDreamy eyes. "Whatever makes you happy."