Help is Around the Corner 21

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

"I'm so hungry, I can't wait for dinner," says Meredith.

"Me too," says Addison.

"You know what, it's nice out. Do you want to get takeout, and eat it somewhere nice?" says Meredith.

"Let's do that," says Addison. "How about the lookout on Derek's land?" she suggests.

"Perfect," says Meredith. "As long as you know how to avoid the poison oak."

"Yup, learned my lesson," says Addison.

"Alright, let's go. What would you like to eat?" says Meredith.

"Hmm, how about noodles," says Addison.

"Noodles sound perfect," says Meredith.

Addison has found a noodle place she likes in the city, so she drives, and Meredith leans on her shoulder.

"Do you know what you want?" says Addison, as she pulls up to the noodle place.

"Whatever you're having," says Meredith.

"Okay, two specials please," says Addison.

Meredith goes to fish for some cash from her pocket, but Addison shakes her head.

"You don't have to get mine," says Meredith.

"You can get it next time," Addison shrugs easily. "Plus it's $6.99..." Addison chuckles.

"Hey, that was a lot when I was in college," says Meredith. "I could buy four meals for that much when I was backpacking through Europe," she smiles.

"I bet," says Addison. "Here-" she says, holding out some noodles for Meredith.

"Thanks," says Meredith, taking it while Addison collects the chopsticks.

They drive out to the edge of town, and hike up to the edge where Derek likes to look out over the city. They can see the stars in the sky, and the lights, and the houses.

"Want to try the noodles?" says Addison.

"Yeah," says Meredith.

Addison hands her a takeout box, and they each dig in, savoring the noodles and vegetables, and laughing and talking.

"You know, a long time ago, he told me he was going to build me a house on this land," says Addison wistfully.

"And now?" says Meredith, apprehensively.

"And now..." Addison sighs.

Meredith looks up and Addison's eyes are shining, and she doesn't know what to do, so she takes her takeout box out of her hands, and she wraps her arms around Addison, and she tucks her head into the crook of Addison's neck like she always does.

In her head, she's sad because Addison seems sad, but she's also sad when Addison talks about her future with Derek. She doesn't hate Derek, she just wants to be him. She wants to think of houses with Addison, and maybe more dogs, and maybe even kids if Addison wants them.

She's so young, and she usually doesn't think like that, but now she's thinking about that, because she really likes Addison.

She really is screwed.

Why does this always happen to her!?

"And now... I don't know what I want..." says Addison softly, as she starts crying. "I thought we were going to be happy. I thought I was going to come out here, and rekindle my marriage, and maybe we'd move back to New York together, or settle down here... But then I met you..." says Addison.