Help is Around the Corner 28

Addison and Derek's trailer catches fire, and Meredith offers them a place to stay for a while.

"How're you doing, champ?" says Mark, when he encounters Derek after surgery.

"About as well as one can expect to be, in my situation," says Derek bitterly.

"Oh come on, this is your freedom," says Mark.

"Maybe," says Derek, shrugging. "I have to call the lawyers."

"Yeah. You know I'm always here for you, right?" says Mark.

"Right," says Derek, accepting Mark's friendship because he feels pretty lonely right now.

With Mark thrown into the mix, the carpool to Meredith's house has gotten more elaborate, and now Burke is staying over too, so it's really the very definition of a full house.

"I'd like to cook stuffed pasta," Burke announces. "Because it's nice of you to have me over."

"I'm cool with that," says Alex.

"Pasta sounds great!" says Izzie.

While Burke cooks dinner, and Izzie helps him, Meredith and Addison take Doc for a little walk around the neighborhood.

"Rr!" says Doc.

"Yes, we're going for a walk," says Meredith.

"Rr!" says Doc.

"Yeah, we're getting along again," says Addison.

"Rr!" says Doc.

"I know it's been a bit tumultuous between us but I promise you Doc, it doesn't mean we love you any less," says Meredith.

"Rr!" says Doc.

"Yes, we love you very much," says Addison.

"Rr!" says Doc.

"Alright, well, I know Izzie wants to take you for a walk later so we'll go back so you don't get too tired," says Meredith.

"Rr!" says Doc.

"Yes, rest up for a bit during dinner, and then you'll go out again," says Meredith.

"Rr!" says Doc.

Doc follows, as he always does, and happily walks along with Meredith and Addison, who keep stealing glances at each other, and smiling and laughing.

It's so carefree and happy, and Meredith and Addison wonder how they bounced back so quickly to being best friends after all of the drama these past couple days.

When they get back, Burke's made pasta, and Meredith sits on Addison's lap to eat it, just like she always does, and everyone talks about their days, and everyone avoids the topic of Addison and Derek's marriage ending so it doesn't upset Derek.

For dessert, Burke brings out a pie that he's prepared, and everyone has a slide (or three, for Alex), before they all part their separate ways for a little while.

Addison goes to take a shower, and Meredith waits patiently for her, and helps George in the meantime with the dishes.

Addison usually showers long after dinner, but tonight she's opted to shower earlier, a few minutes after they've finished dessert.

Meredith helps clear the table, and do the dishes, and she listens to George ramble on about his new comic book for a while before she decides to see if Addison's done with her shower yet.

She knocks softly when she gets to the door, and she doesn't hear an answer, but she figures it's her room, too, so she decides to open the door anyway.