𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

Sorry it's so so short but I'm revising a lot and I have loads to do. I tried to post this yesterday but I fell asleep so yeah sorry

...

"How dare you." Andrea's voice was unnervingly calm for how angry she must be.

"I'm sorry ms.swift it's just Taylor's decided to do a diet and I'm helping-"

Andrea turned to look at Taylor, horrified at the possibility Taylor had been trying to loose weight.

"Is this true Taylor?"

She gulped and put down the menu, not meeting her mother's eyes.
"Well yes I'm trying to loos a little-"

"Why?! You eat healthily, you exercise, your already very skinny. Why would you possibly want to loose weight."

Calvin places his hand over Taylor's and tries to respond for her.
"She just wants to feel more confide-"

"Shut it. I'm talking to my daughter, Taylor you can't weigh more than 100 pounds. Please please eat properly, you know I worry about you, and with the amount of time you're spending with this waste of space-"

"Mom!" Taylor interjects, embarrassed that her mother would be so rude to her partner right in-front of his face.

"My job isn't to please your boyfriend, my job is to keep you safe and right now I'm worried. The last time you two were together you gave my daughter cocaine Adam. I refuse to hide that I don't want you to be with her, I must look out for the needs of my daughter."

He nodded awkwardly, unsure of how to respond to being reprimanded by his girlfriends mother.

"Taylor you're having a pasta dish-"

"I'm really not that hu-"

It only took one look from Andrea to silence her protests.

"Fine, I want the bolognaise."

Andrea nodded, satisfied, and they settled into a slightly awkward silence.
After a few minutes her face lit up, she seemed to have had an idea.

Oh god what now?

She turned around to where Joe was sat.
"Sweetheart would you like to join us at the table, it seems awfully rude to make you sit alone and eat."

"no, I can't-" he tried to deny

"Nonsense darling, it's the least I can do as thanks for taking such good care of my daughter."

This is humiliating, she should be thanking Adam for taking care of me, not my employee.

Joe and Taylor exchanged a look, it wasn't clear exactly what either was feeling but there was some sort of exchange. How did they feel about that idea, Joe taking care of Taylor.

I don't exactly hate the idea of Joe taking care of me.

Joe nodded thankfully and came to sit opposite Taylor.

"So Joe, where are you from"

Taylor looked up at Joe and mouthed sorry at realising that the next hour would probably consist of Andrea only talking to Joe.

He smiled back, unbothered.

"I'm from England , I grew up mostly in London but I spent some time in Cambridge too."

"Ah thats lovely, was it nice growing up there?"

"It's a really beautiful place, we were fortunate enough to live in a really nice area so there was loads of space and beautiful architecture. But my father wasn't particularly present so my mother did her best to pick up the pieces but it was quite difficult with my two brothers never spending time with him, he wasn't exactly the best husband either so I'm grateful of the sacrifices my mother made."

Although he had been talking to Andrea, once he started talking Taylor looked up from her plate and was listening intently.

Even after he stopped talking they held eye contact as if they were the only people at the table. She had a lot of sympathy for his situation in her eyes.

They were cutoff by Andrea.

"Well... that does sound really hard Joe. Was your father also a private security?"

"Uh yeah. He worked with people under government protection."

Taylor looked over at Adam who met her eyes with anger.

"Honey I think it's best we leave, you have lots of work to do at home"

He grabbed at Taylor's hand and pulled her out of the restaurant before she could even respond.

But as she turned the corner she saw Joe looking frustrated, talking to her father.

"Joe tell me the truth, is she alright? We're worried."

Joe was unsure of how much to say.

"She's... well she's okay.... I don't.. how do I put this? I don't think Adam is the most supportive partner she could have but I don't think she's in any danger."

They nodded, deep in thought.

"Thank you Joe."