The Border

Im so so sorry that this took so long. It feels like years since I last updated and i dont know why im writing so slow coz i started this chapter ages ago.

On the plus side this chapter is like 3,000 words long so at least that's something.

Anyways I'm absolutely exhausted so imma go to bed now.

Hope you guys like the chapter.

Please please please leave your reactions, thoughts and ideas in the comments, it the highlight of me week gotting to read them!

------------------------------------------

By the next day they had made it to the border crossing between Maine and canada. The part of the journey that proposed the most risk. It wasn't as if Taylor could sit in the passenger seat and claim she was a midwife from Alabama. Everyone knew who she was, especially now that she was a missing person. Every police officer in the country was looking out for her.

This meant that the couple had to come up with a more elaborate plan:

Joe had been listed as a person of interest in the investigation, nobody cared enough about him to report him missing, meaning that police would also be on the lookout for him.

This is why he had dyed his hair and used a fake ID (which was actually supplied by sherwood Inc to all the men in case they were found out and needed to run but he told taylor that it was from a slightly immoral friend of his).

For the next few hours he was not Joe Alwyn from london. He was Andy Lewis, an artist born in california in 1985.

They had fun coming up with a backstory for his character to explain why he was driving through Canada with a car full of men's, women's and baby items.

The story was that his wife had decided that leaving his 9 to 5 job to pursue art full time indicated a
mid-life crisis and that he would not be able to support their family. In response he decided to go on a creative getaway where he could focus on his craft. He decided that she was ungrateful for all the financial support he had given her over the years and in retaliation he would take any items he had purchased on the trip with him, to show that she needed him.

It was elaborate, ridiculous and mostly just a way to pass the time but hopefully it was just silly enough for the officers to not even question it.

The risky part involved taylor. The only way they could think to get her passed border control was to hide her in the boot of the car and hope that nobody would find any reason to search the car.

As they arrived within a mile of the border, Joe reached over to hold Taylor's hand.

They sat in silence for a moment, neither willing to make the move. This felt like the point of no return, they were about to try and sneak a fugitive out of the country. If they were caught joe would almost definitely be arrested for kidnapping and taylor may very well be sent to a psychiatric facility.

"I love you." Joe whispered so quietly that Taylor barely heard him.

He squeezed her hand gently and they shared a look of foreboding.

"Joe, If they find me i need you to promise you wont say anything stupid. I'd rather spend a few months in a mental hospital that have to see you take the blame for all this. It's my fault we're here, i won't sit by and let everyone twist the story into making you the villain"

"Tay, we're in this together. I knew what I was signing up for. There is no way in hell that I would abandon you and bug like that. I wouldn't miss their birth for the world, no matter what happens."