xxix. orange is really my colour and i suit jumpsuits

chapter twenty-nine

─── orange is really my colour, and i suit jumpsuits

          𝔑ow, I loved the idea of having another sibling, but Tantalus was ruining all of it for me. I did really, really, want to kill him but Luke had reminded me that he was immortal and camp director and some of the gods already didn't truly like me that much, so this would not help. 

Unfortunately, he was correct.

Tyson moved into Three, giggling to himself every fifteen seconds and saying, "Romy is my sister?" like he'd just won the lottery, which was actually really sweet. But, my brain was sort of on overdrive.

My father, who was supposedly married, had not only fathered me but also Tyson? He seemed to like blurring his wedding vows, and I felt really sorry for his wife. 

Also, there was everything else. Tantalus was making it his life mission to make some snide comment about Tyson or me every time I saw him, or was in hearing range. It was grating on my nerves, which was kind of surprising, considering it took a lot to annoy me most of the time. Luke had been an absolute godsend, trying his best to include Tyson when the camp did something, despite his hatred of cyclops.

But, I admit—I was angry at my dad. I felt like being his daughter was now a joke. Tantalus' comments were finally starting to get to me, more than usual, more than any of Gabe's abuse had.

Annabeth tried to make me feel better. She suggested we team up for the chariot race to take our minds off our problems. There was nothing we could do about any of it, which was also infuriating. Until we could come up with some brilliant plan to save Thalia's tree, we figured we might as well go along with the races. After all, Annabeth's mom had invented the chariot, and my dad had created horses. Together we would own that track.

Plus, both of us wanted to beat Luke quite spectacularly, who was racing with Eleven.

One morning, Annabeth and I were sitting by the canoe lake sketching chariot designs when some jokers from Aphrodite's cabin walked by and asked me if I needed to borrow some eyeliner for my eye. "Oh sorry, eyes."

I kissed my teeth, ignoring them as they walked away laughing at their little joke.

"I'm really sorry, Romy," Annabeth murmured. "This doesn't seem all that fair to you and Tantalus has just singled you out for no reason, other than you're the daughter of Poseidon."

"It's alright," I replied, looking back at our chariot. "It's not the first time I've been singled out, won't be the last. Now, the axle for the chariot-"