Chapter fifteen

The whole family had tried to look everywhere for Mya but they seemed to reach a deadend everywhere they went. Her mom could cry at different times thinking that she failed as a mom and everytime Stephen would come and hug her. He tried to make her feel better like what his sister had told him. On occasions when they all sat in the living room, they would all say the amazing things they loved about her. It had been two months since she had left home and still no word.
Miguel went by their home every night to be with them. Mya's dad and him had grown closer. One night when he had gone by her house and fell asleep in her room cause he had been searching for any clue as to where she could go. He was awakened by a noise. When he went to check he had found Mya's dad wasted.
"oh Miguel my boy"
"uncle!" he whispered in shock cause he had never seen his uncle this wasted. Tipsy yes, maybe a little drunk but not this much. He rushed to him to help since he couldn't walk properly. When he was safely sitting, and he sat next to him, he asked. "why uncle?"
"to forget son. To forget"
He looked at his passed out uncle softly snoring and decided to have a talk with him in the morning.
The next morning, he knocked on the home office door. When he heard the permission to enter, he opened the door.
"morning uncle. Can I have a word?" he said as soon as he closed the door behind him.
"morning son. Sure. Please sit. "
After getting comfortable, he looked at the man who had been like a father to him all his life.
"I don't know where to start but I will just say it." he took a deep breath then continued. "I have never seen you drunk before. Well not as drunk as last night. To add to it everyday of the week. Last night you said to forget, can you explain what you meant please." he had an idea what his uncle meant but he needed to hear it from him. Right now, he could see so many emotions on the man's face.
"I know. Mya leaving has been a blow. I could handle her not telling me about a relationship for a few months. I mean we all teased her about it and I didn't know we pushed her to think hiding was the answer. Then to watch your daughter break every day after finding out he was playing with her feelings. A boy I helped take of like my son too." yeah it was hard to know that Xander could do that. I mean he was one of my closest cousins and we were brought up like brothers and now I don't know him and don't talk to him anymore. "as a father that was hard. Then I find out my other daughter could open up to me. " he took a frustrating deep breath "makes you wonder where you went wrong. I see my wife break but I have to act strong"
I get where he's coming from. He thinks because he had to be strong, he needed something to help him forget.
"but you know it's not the way, right uncle?"
He nodded. "then open up to someone" we spoke for sometime then I had to go home. When he left the office, he found Mya's mom standing there and he knew she had be listening in. She moved towards him and hugged him, giving him a small peck on the cheek. "thank you" she pulled back, touched his cheek in a loving motherly way and smiled before letting go and going into the office.
On my way home he called his father to let him know he was almost home. Once he got in the house he found his parents with Xander's parents.
"hello uncle and auntie" he gave both women a kiss on the cheek.
"I'm glad to see everyone here. I wanted to talk to all of you."
"what's wrong son?" his father asked looking worried.
"it's nothing to be worried about dad. I just wanted to talk to everyone about the Matthews."
"how are they doing?" Xander's father asked.
"well not good as expected. Auntie breaks down alot. Stephen is out there trying to be tough, May guilty atleast she has Summer and uncle. " he took a deep breath. "he's not taking it too well. This past week, he had been drinking every day. I can't say it's at a point that I can say rehab is needed but it's a cry for help for sure. I know since everything with Xander and Mya, there has been tension. However you guys are our parents and you guys need each other. Please support them."
"will you ever forgive him?" my aunt asked.
"no I won't. And this is not about that."
"Miguel-"
"mom please. Just drop it. " dad put his hand on her leg,silently asking her to drop it and I was thankful that they dropped it. Maybe I was been too harsh but I couldn't say I forgive him yet. Maybe one-day.

             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been six months since she left. Atleast people are doing better, as better as they could be. The parents had made amends. They realized they were not responsible for the choices their children  had made and that they were family.
May had the long talk with her parents and explained everything. They were closer than ever. Stephen also got his dose for skipping school, getting grounded for sometime.
Xander and Bailey had returned from their honeymoon. Bailey was in her last trimester of pregnancy. They had settled a few streets from the families as Bailey found it annoying how everyone was literally in everyone's business and they would pop up.
Miguel was still close to the Matthews and would often wonder where his bestfriend was.
He was sitting in the backyard one evening after a wonderful dinner with everyone from the three families. He had  come out to answer a work call and after the call had decided to look at the stars. It was something they did together growing up. All three of them and now everything was different but the stars where still beautiful. He was so caught up that he didn't hear someone sit next to him.
"I miss her you know" he looked at May then back to the stars.
"me too. "
"You know when I got pregnant and discovered that my boyfriend was married, I actually thought of harming myself because I knew that I would be a single mom. I know so many women have managed to raise children alone and I know they make it seem easy. It's not easy that I know. And I knew I didn't have the strength. I went for a slightly older guy cause I thought he knew what he wanted and he wouldn't waste my time. I thought I was an exception to the cliché stories of most older guys already have families. I wanted so bad to believe he wasn't lying to me but I think I knew he was. I was under so much stress that instead of taking care of myself,i did everything that could harm the baby: drinking, taking medication I knew pregnant women could take or needed a prescription before taking. That caused me to lose the baby and since high doses were found in my body it was written as abortion. I tried to pretend when I came back home, I really tried but Mya saw right through me." she smiled before continuing "she would sneak into my room at night and hold me. She would come up with excuses to mom as to why I looked sad. She made sure that I was back to what I can say normal" she shrugged her shoulders. "and she told you about it"
"I'm sorry" he said.
"don't be you two were quite a pair. Two little nerds who got along. Then she had the crush on Xander. Instead of protecting her, I watched her walk into flames even after I knew he was playing her. I thought I was doing the right thing by sending hints not telling her. I thought it would lessen the pain on her. Then he'll broke loose. In thinking I shouldn't meddle in what was happening, I sided with Bailey. She was right, Bailey knew how to hurt her and she used me. I take responsibility for it because I should have been by her side without a question. Instead I attacked her. When she accidentally told mom. Well mom like mom was eavesdropping on us. " she gave a brief laugh. "mom gave me a good shouting. And like a coward I attacked Mya again. The night before she left, I said some bad things. Told her we were better off without her and that she deserved the pain she was feeling. For someone who had been through what she had, I was a b*tch to her. "
Miguel was in shock. "why would you say those things?"
"I wish I knew but I honestly don't know. All I know is I'm so so sorry and I wish I could tell her that. That I don't mean anything I said. That she's the best sister in the world and I love her."
"why are you telling me all this?"
"because you are one of the closest people to her. If anyone can find her, it would be you. Please, help me find her."
✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️
Hey readers,
I'm so sorry for been slow. I had exams and been trying to work on my thesis. I will honestly try to post often.
I hope you enjoyed the chapter. What do you think will happen next? Will he try to find her? Or not? Where could she be?
Don't forget to vote, comment, share, and follow.
Love Jean 💕