chapter twenty-two

"look. Let me just go cause I can't seem to do right by you." Miguel said.
"please, just give me a chance to explain."
"no, Mya." I held onto his arm and look straight into his eyes. I wanted him to see how sincere I was been.
"please give me one chance. I know I hurt you this last week and when I left. Please just let me explain." I think hemight have seen how much I was pleading, that I saw him run his other hand through his hair and sigh.
"okay"
"thank you" I wiped my face to get rid of the tears and helped him put his bags into the car.
Once in the car, I turned to him before starting the car.
"all I ask is that you are not quick to judge and you please let me explain."
"okay" he answered more like a question with a confused look.
"I guess this is the tour to my life." I started the car and drove to destination one. We arrived and I parked the car, then turned to him. He was looking around confused and looked kinda disgusted.

 He was looking around confused and looked kinda disgusted

"what are we doing here? " he asked me."when I left home, I got all the money I had as well as withdrew what I had served. The first few weeks I could afford a descent room in a clean and good motel or hotel. However, by the time I got here, I was really low on cash. As you can see, this is the only place I could afford and for close to a month. This was my home. It's not the safestneighborhood in town so it was struggle eing new and also being young didn't help. "
You could tell he was trying to process what I was saying to him. "you said close to a month. Where did you stay after?"
I smiled slightly "we will get there. As you now know I was getting low on cash. So days were harder than others. After sometime I couldn't afford this place so I moved."
I started the car again and drove him to the next destination. I wanted him to have an idea of why I've been like this since he met me. I parked across the street and pointed to a building.

"this was my second home

"this was my second home. "
"what is this place?" he asked while looking at the building.
"it's a homeless shelter." I answered to which he turned his head so fast that I thought he actually snapped his neck.
He looked at me with so much confusion.
"why didn't you come back home?"
"I thought about it and I did want to come. You need to understand that I wasn't in my right state of mind. I had left home thinking I was the cause of all the drama and problems everyone was facing. I thought I was better off like this than to come back home. I also wanted to come home fixed not damaged."
"you are not damaged."
"at the time it was all I thought."
He nodded in what I assumed as understanding. "what happened when you moved here?"
"rough. You need to know that there are some good people out there and some very bad people. By day I went job hunting and by night all I wanted was a roof over my head. One night,i was laying on my bunk when a man came up and tried to steal some of my things. It was a night I had fallen ill cause of the cold. I couldn't fight him off but an older lady had come by and helped me. She then tended to me that night. " I paused to recall those moments, then turned to make sure I wasn't making his mind explode. "are you okay? " I asked him.
"ya. Just trying to process everything."
"we can take a break if you want? Maybe we can go to the cafe for coffee. Could use some before our next stop."
"umm sure." I knew it was alot to take in for him. I said coffee cause that what I could take. I originally thought something strong could calm me down but, coffee would have to do. Once we arrived at our cafe near the hotel he was staying at, I asked him to sit while I ordered. As he walked I could see he was deep in thought. I guess I could give him some time to process. Once the orders were ready, I sat across him.
"so why did your travel plans change?" I asked to distract ourselves while I calmed my nerves.
"the was a last minute meeting that was scheduled." he said in between sips.
"are you really not considering moving here?"
He looked at me. "for now yes. But today is about your story. So what happened next?"
I felt my heart break. I have managed to chase away the one friendship that meant the world to me. I sighed but continued .
"during the day, a group of volunteers would come to the shelter and help feed everyone. Among them was a group of volunteers doctors who would check those that seemed sick, but the doctors only came once a week unless called urgently. That means I had the fever for a whole week and during this week the older lady who I came to know as auntie Kay, short for Kate. She took care of me. When the doctors came, she rushed to one particular doctor, one she said treated her when she was sick. Actually called this doctor the gentle soul. Her name is Jean. So Jean checked me out and wrote me a note to take to the hospital she worked at. " I paused again to make sure he was following. He noises in encouragement.
"she took care of all the bills with Kate by my side. I had a high fever of course, dehydrated and malnourished. To make it worse I was diagnosed with depression again. So Jean said she would be my therapist, I didn't trust her at first so hardly said anything during our meetings." I looked outside for a bit. "I think we should go." I said.
In the car, I turned to him. "since I have told you about the hospital, I will just point at it on our way to the two final destinations." he agreed and I started driving. When we reached the hospital, I pointed at it. "that's the hospital I was brought to. Fancy I know but I thank Jean for bringing me here." we continued down the road till we arrived at another building. I parked in the parking area and turned off the engine.
"once I started trusting Jean and opening up, she encouraged me to continue applying for a job as part of an exercise. Everytime I went for an interview, I had a session with her after. In that session, I would tell her about the questions asked, my answers and how I felt about both. This led to me opening up about everything. After a few weeks, I got hired by this advertising and marketing firm. I only worked for a week, when I got really sick."
I started the car and drove to the final destination. We drove in silence, with only the radio making some noise in the car. When we arrived at the next destination, I parked and waited for him to say something.
"who lives here?" he asked. Looking at the cute little house, in a cozy neighborhood. 

"I live here

"I live here. This is home. Come" I got out of the car and waited for him. We approached the house together and I unlocked the door. We entered the house.

"auntie Kay!" I asked him to sit. "when I managed to start working and Jean helped me find a house, I took auntie Kay with me. " I heard footsteps.
"you are back early Mya." she said. "oh we have company. " she approached him and he stood.
"hello. And who might you be?"
They shook hands "I'm Miguel."
"oh! Nice to finally meet you Miguel. I've heard so much about you."
"so have I." he smiled at her.
She turned to me "he's cute." I blushed at her. She looked at me and I nodded. She turned to him. "excuse me for a moment. Mya come."
I followed her to the kitchen. Found her baking cookies. "are you sure?" she asked.
"yes"
"you spent the last week crying about him. Are you sure?"
"I know but I'm ready."
"okay. I'm hear if you need me."
I walked to the bedroom and picked up the surprise. I walked into the living room and the moment I entered, he had a look of shock on his face.
"Miguel I would like you to meet my daughter Kayla"

✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️
Dear readers,
Tada!!how's that for a surprise?! I know I'm bad for leaving you like this but I love you guys.
Don't forget to vote, comment, share, and follow.
Love Jean 💕