Chapter twenty-four

Mya's pov

I could literally see the gears turning in his head. He looked so deep in thought as he stared at my baby. I felt little hands tighten around me.
"she's shy."
He moved his eyes up to look at me.
"how?"
"remember when I told you that I had a high fever at some point?"
"yes I do."
"what I didn't tell you is that I did have a high fever, I was dehydrated, lacked nutritions and my body was just tired. After tests were carried out, it was discovered that I was pregnant." he looked more confused than I've ever seen him. I knew what he was about to ask.
"I don't understand. I was there when you were told that you miscarried." I gave him a small smile.
"I know. I experienced what is called the vanishing twin syndrome. Vanishing twin syndrome refers to a condition that can take place during early or later pregnancy. Vanishing twin syndrome is a type of miscarriage. When more than one embryo appears to be developing in your uterus, you might be told that you're carrying twins - or in some cases, triplets or more. In my case, I was expecting twins however, I can't explain what happened to the other baby but one was under developed. So when I got sick, I was under bed rest. I could have lost this little miracle." I touched my little fighters cheek and when she looked up at me I kissed her little head and smiled at her. I looked back at him. "it was not an easy road from there. She was born really underweight and couldn't breathe on her own. She was placed in an incubator, where she stayed for close to two months after birth. Doctors kept telling me to let her go as for her little body couldn't handle alot of stress. I couldn't bring myself to let her go. I already blamed myself for losing my other baby and didn't want to lose this one without fighting for her. One day, I was told that if she made till morning it would be a miracle as odds weren't on her side. I had only touched her but never held my baby. That night I asked if I could hold her even once before I lost her. Still connected to wires and tubes, I set up for the night and held my baby. At some point, I decided to do some research as I held her and read that skin to skin bonding at times helped. I did just that, I fell asleep with her in my arms." I saw Kayla shyly reach out to him. I was shocked because she never took a liking to anyone easily. Even when we went to the doctors, she would be examined in my arms most of the time. He looked at me as though asking for permission. I nodded and he took her into his arms. She smiled at him and shyly hid her face on his shoulder.
"aren't you a pretty little lady." he gently tickled her, to which she giggled. That put a smile on my face.
"I think she likes you" he looked up and smiled at me.
"then I like her too"
After he played with Kayla abit, she began to doze. I got up and stretched my arms towards Kayla.
"let me put her down to rest." I got her and took her to aunty Kay, who took her upstairs. I got back to the living room. "sorry I didn't even offer you something to drink. What can I offer you?"
"just some juice please." once I served it, I sat down again.
"then what happened?" oh the story.
"I was woken up by a nurse with a smile yet her face showed shock. She told me my baby was still alive and she seemed to have shown slight improvement. We stayed a week more and I spent every night with her. I was given a go ahead to bring her home. We came home and first few months were amazing. That is when I decided to get better if not for me then for my daughter. A few months afew we came home, she got sick and we had been in and out of hospital."
"how's she doing now?"
"she's better but I still have to look out for her."
"why now?"
"because I have locked everyone out for a long time, yet I keep saying I'm okay and moved on. But to do that I will need to accept that even old bonds are important. Well some old bonds."
"you know you will need to come back home and make amends with your family as some members blame themselves and miss you."
"I know and I will when I am ready."
"we can go together if you are up for it. That way you can have me on your side. I'm actually stopping by to see June and the baby." I hesitated. "that's if you want."
"I will think about it."
"okay"
"tell me about June's baby and how did Jack propose? You guys seem to be close now."
"well the baby's name is Carla" I smiled. "you guys thought almost alike"
We talked and managed to catch up as much as we could. I was glad that me leaving had brought some sort of good. It was good to hear what and how everyone was doing.
He stayed over for dinner and even played with Kayla who seemed to take a major liking to him. When he left, as soon as he walked out he left Kayla crying.
I needed up putting her in my bed to sleep. After getting ready for bed, I decided to make a much needed call.
M: hey
Jean : hey. How did it go?

✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️
Hey readers,
Hope you enjoyed the chapter. For those who managed to guess about the twins were right. She was pregnant with twins. Vanishing twin syndrome is an actual thing and for more information please Google or ask your doctor about it. It's important to learn about such, you never know when you will put information to use.
Don't forget to vote, comment, share, and follow.
Love Jean 💕