Chapter Twenty-three

Miguel's pov

I was so tired from the training and starving too. I want something different from the food in the hotel. I remember seeing a café not too far from my hotel. I had been dying to try the food cause the smell was so inviting and the smell of coffee! Oh my gosh! I guess I'm having pastries for lunch. I walked into the building and was greeted by the amazing scents. I stood in line, waiting for my turn to purchase something. When. My time arrived, I was greeted by a friendly looking face.
"hello sir, what can I get for you today?"
I looked at everything and I couldn't decide really, so I chose a number of things.
"I really don't know what to get. Mmmmm can I have a slice of chocolate cake, donut with icing, two slices of chicken mayo pizza and a large cup of cuppichino" I said with a smile.
"that's alot" she said smiling.
"I'm a big boy and very hungry." I replied with a polite smile. Once my order was ready, I looked around and spotted a lady typing on her computer as she took sips and bites of her food. I hope she won't mind me sitting with her. I just wanted to eat and go home. I approached her, "excuse me, do you mind if I sit with you?" I said with a smile on my face.
"yes, you-" that voice! I knew that voice. It couldn't be.
She looked up and I felt a mixture of things, anger, joy, hurt, all mixed in one. Joy topped it all cause I finally found her.
I saw her gather her things in a rush and run out of the door.
Not this again! I ran a frustrated before rushing after her. I looked both sides and saw her running on my left. I managed to catch up with her and immediately noticed she looked like she couldn't breath. Looked more like a panicking attack.
I held her and asked her to take deep breaths. I made her look into my eyes as she tried to calm down and after some time she started to calm down.
"that's it. Just breathe. Look at me and breathe." I felt him rub my arms in an up and down motion. When I was finally calm, I spoke.
"I'm okay."
"are you going to try to run again?" she shook her head, no.
We went to talked in the cafe for abit. She had started taking me somewhere but changed her mind. We ended up exchanging numbers. I went back to the cafe after we parted ways with Mya. I saw the sales girl whose name was Pat calling to me. I approached her.
"hey, here is your money. "
"I don't understand. What money?"
"well since you didn't touch your food, we split the amount with other workers and gave some with others too. So when you showed up I could give you back your money or let you order. "
I was really impressed. I have never heard of that. I think that was a good idea.
"is that something management came up with?"
"actually no. It's something that most of us workers decided to start doing."
"and what would have happened if I never returned?" I was actually curious to know what the answer to that. Maybe it would be something I would be impressed with again or I would be disappointed.
"we actually have this money jar" she said pointing to where some jars were lined up. One was a tip jar and the other was to charity and good will. "so when people tip, we share among each other at the end of the shift. We use to money in charity and good will to help those employees who really need the help with most of it going to charity."
"that's actually really good and thoughtful of you guys. I'm very impressed by that. I will have the same order I made" I told her.
I reached into my pocket and took out my wallet where I pulled out two bills one hundred into the tip jar and the other into the other jar. When Pat saw me putting the money, she looked shocked.
"thank you so much sir."
"it's for a good cause. Call me Miguel." I said as I collected my food and returned to my room.
Miguel: hello
June: hey. How are you?
M: I'm okay. I found her.
J: what?!
I explained everything that happened that day.
M: but I dunno if I should tell her the family.
J: this is so much to take in. From what I can hope I understand. She doesn't seem like she's okay and if that's true, you need to take it easy. Do it on her terms, we don't want to scare her off again.
M: I think that's true.
J: I wish I could come there and get her
M: I wish you could but like you said let's take it slow.
We talked for a while and after sometime we ended the call. I texted Mya between bites.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~
After that we pretty much started hanging out again and we're texting everytime we were apart. It was like old times despite noticing she seemed like she was holding back. I still enjoyed everything we did together.
June on the other hand, was having the time of her life teasing me that she got Jack to join in.  One day we had to the funfare and during our walk, I kissed her. I never expected to feel what I did but I did.
I loved every part of the kiss, I know this will sound cliché but I think it was really just buried inside.
One thing I never expected was her reaction. Okay I did but I dunno. She knows I can never hurt her.
For almost a week, I had tried calling her and texting her but she never responded to any of my calls or messages. I spoke to June about it and she explained that maybe Mya thought I was upto the same thing Xander did to her. Which I know I wasn't. All week I thought about everything and why I kissed her as well as what it meant to me. I decided that it was best I worked elsewhere and once I returned home I would talk to my boss.
The day before my scheduled flight, I wrote her a text and decided once I got on that plane, I would never look back.
The next morning, I got ready and had my bags packed. I asked the front desk to call a taxi for me and ended up using their transport services.
At the airport, my boss called that there was a last minute scheduled meeting I needed to attend. I was coming from the gents when my name was announced at the front desk. I walked there and saw Mya there. Feeling hurt from her ignoring me, I decided not to show myself to her.  I watched her move around asking people and calling out my name. The flight I was suppose to be on was called, I watched her stand near the gate and with each passing person, I could see her lose hope. I kinda felt bad but my mind was racing with so many thoughts. When I decided to finally approach her, I saw her rush towards the exit. I followed her to her car where I saw her leaning against her wheel and appeared to be crying. I knocked on her window and she rushed to me and hugged me.  When she asked me to let her explain everything, I was hesitate at first cause I didn't want to make a mistake around her, it's all I seemed to do now. I instead gave in.
The first destination was some cheap looking motel, that I honestly had no idea why she even brought me here. But,  hearing her tell me she lived here for about a month, was really shocking. We moved on to a shelter she lived. This was where she met Jean, I've heard about her but we've never met. She told me about the time she got sick and met a lovely lady, she called aunty Kay. And how she had gotten sick at some point. I could never have imagined her ever staying in a shelter. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are shelters in the world where people can have a roof over their heads often as I know it's a blessing to be able to have a roof over your head every night, when others don't. I just never saw it for her.  We went to her work place next and in between she had tried to distract me by making small talk but no, it wasn't working for me. On the way there we had passed by a fancy looking hospital where Jean worked. She lastly took me to a nice house that was in what I assumed to be a lovely neighborhood. In the house, I got to meet aunty Kay. I was told they moved in together at some point. They left me alone for a bit as I looked around the living room. It did seem like mya's taste, with how things were placed.

After a short while she came out holding a little girl

I looked at her with confusion

I looked at her with confusion. Whose little girl was that. They seemed so close to each other.
"Miguel, I would like you to meet my daughter, Kayla. "
Wait what?! Daughter? What does she mean daughter? I had so many questions that I just stared at the little girl, then my eyes widened as the shock just couldn't wear off.
✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️✳️
Hey readers,
I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I was suppose to post this yesterday but my thesis supervisor seems to have something against me as he looks for faults that don't exist in my report. It kept me so busy that I only manage to send it back to him today after trying to edit it to what he wants.
Anyway, how are we feeling about Miguel? Who do you think Kayla is? What will Mya say?
Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow.
Love 💕