Chapter 23

A/N: Hello! I hope you're all doing well! I am back with this fanfic again! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Love you a lot! I will continue the quizzes next time.

-oOo-

It is the cold month of December. There will be snow that will cover the buildings and trees. There will be lights everywhere due to Christmas lanterns and décor. There are smiles from people that she met while walking on the roadside. But despite the happy vibe, Mai couldn't make herself happy. These past three years, Mai never really enjoyed Christmas that much. It was so troublesome when the snow got thick. And it is very slippery when melted. There will be numerous car accidents reported on TV because of this snow. This is the reason why Mai sometimes wonder why people enjoy this season so much.

Her father died on December 26, nine years ago when she was just a little girl. Her mother also died in this same month 3 years ago. It was just a day after her father's death anniversary. The month of December is really a sad thing for her.

But this year is a bit different. It brought her so much peace and happiness. Maybe it is because she celebrated it with the SPR. She met his unfeeling young boss who can be quite be cute sometimes. He always rejects her ideas of having fun and always reprimand her for always being late. Though he's cold, he is very kind and a little bit considerate.

Last time, she was pushed by rude high school girls who came into the office to see Naru in the guise of having a case. Her elbow was wounded by the fruit knife in the table and her ankle is also sprained. And instead of entertaining the 'guests', he ignored them and help her up. He ordered Lin to drive them away and personally sent her to a clinic.

The wound is pretty deep and she need to finish the drip so she needs to stay in the clinic for some time. He then stayed with her the whole day and that really touched Mai's heart. However, the two of them stayed silent the whole time they were in the ward. And every time Mai opened her mouth to open up a topic, the young boss of hers will glare at her to shut up. Mai was really touched by his kindness but she nearly died out of boredom!

She also met this stoic and cold fellow assistant who is also a talented Onmyouji. She was a bit afraid of him especially when she learned of his identity. She had kept her vigilance around him and check if he have ever placed a curse on her. But she knew Lin wouldn't do that despite having a grudge against her. As the time pass by, she began to feel comfortable with him. He was a bit awkward but Mai noticed that he had a soft side so she maintain a friendly relationship with him while being vigilant, of course.

There was Bou-san who treat her like a younger sister and he also likes to act as an old father to her sometimes. Bou-san would also invite her and the others to his band's concert together but Naru and Lin who don't like noises, always decline his offers. He treats Mai well and will patiently teach her more about exorcisms and curses.

Ayako, on the other hand, acts like an older sister or a mother towards her. She will cook healthy food for her from time to time. And despite her spoiled and arrogant attitude, she surprisingly cook delicious and protects her like a mother hen. She is always in a conflict with Masako but Ayako will always treat her with so much care if she's hurt. She would also bake goodies for the team sometimes. And although she bickers with Bou-san a lot, they formed such a great team in cases.

Masako is a bit grumpy when it comes to Mai but it is still tolerable for the latter. After interacting with her for a few months, Mai learned why her attitude is like that towards her. Masako likes Naru but the latter is always ignoring her feelings for him and Mai, as an assistant, spent a lot of time with him than with her. Well, for Mai, she is better than those crazy 'Naru fanatics' so she never really held a grudge against her.