Chapter 40

A/N: I haven't updated for 5 days. Haha. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Ghost Hunt.

[Not Edited]

-oOo-

"Astral Projection?" Naru asked after a few seconds. That question is also the same as what her friends wanted to ask.

"My intuition is telling me to run away right this instance. I'm sure this case is more dangerous than we think. The problem is not just the house but the ghosts and the cause of disappearances. I need to astral project or dream, for us to get a clue of where did Suzuki-san went." Mai answered them as she went to get her pouch on the table.

"Are you able to astral project alone?" Naru asked her, his face is looking so livid. It took Mai a few seconds to answer but she still spoke the truth.

"No. Every time I astral project, Gene is always there to protect me."

"That's is the reason why you want me to contact Gene?"

"Yes."

"What if we still couldn't contact him?"

"Then I'll do it alone."

"Mai!" Naru yelled at her. He's clearly angry but not of jealousy but her recklessness. His tone also scared the SPR a bit. But they, including Yasu also understand what Mai is going to do.

"Astral projecting without your spirit guide, do you know the consequence of that action?! Without Gene to guide and protect you, you could get lost on your plane and never come back!"

"I've done a little training with him before. Nothing will happen."

"Nothing will happen?! Do you hear what you're saying, Mai? You might not wake up! No, I can't allow this to happen. I forbid you to use your psychic abilities until we contact Gene." Naru ordered as he grabbed Mai's arm tightly.

'That scene.... Her bloodied body.... No. I can't let that happen...'

"But Naru, this isn't fair! This is life we're talking about. Ever since I heard Madoka-san's report about the previous disappearances, I couldn't help but to think that maybe something had happened to that assistant. I need to know where she is." Mai protests and struggled free from Naru's vice grip but the latter pulled her to himself.

"No. Since everyone had finished their dinner, I want you to replace the tapes. You can retire to your quarters after you've done your tasks." Naru coldly ordered while glaring at Mai, who glared back.

"And you... You will stay with me. We will do the the night duty. Lin, you can retire too."

The SPR, including Lin, heed his orders as the door slammed closed. Naru didn't let go and pulled her towards the couch. He pushed her to sit down and as Mai tried to reason our with him, his body leaned forward and gave her a warm and tight hug.

Mai stiffened and blushed at Naru's action. The excuses she made in her head just vanished without a trace as her Work Mode turned off like a switch. Her hands gripped the hem of her shirt in nervousness. Mai tried to push him but Naru tightened his hug every time she struggled. Out of her sight, Naru let out a a sad smile while he felt her rejection. Naru pulled her to himself and didn't let go.

His heart is beating like crazy with worry. The thought of her doing something dangerous again almost made him go mad. He still hadn't moved on with that incident in their last case. He can't be witnessing the same situation again! He'll really go crazy!