Chapter 16

Surprise were revealed across Mai's face as she struggled to 'crawl' towards the young man. Her ankle is sprained and that made Mai 'crawl' in an inelegant way and worst, in front of Naru! She really lost so much face at the moment and it was because of this stupid Zuso curse! Mai clenched her teeth as she examination Naru, from head to toe.

"Your face is pale and your shoulder is wounded. Ugh! Why did you have to save me? You can just save yourself from trouble and pain!" Mai scolded him as tear are beginning to form to the rim of her eyes.

"In case you didn't know, I didn't save you----" Naru said but he was interrupted by Mai.

"Stop! Don't answer! I know what you're going to say!" Mai said and facepalmed.

"The ladder is broken and there is not way up. Tsk! Did you tell anyone where you are going?" Mai asked and Naru shook his head.

"Tsk. Great. We're trapped here." Mai said sarcastically as she cursed in her head while massaging her ankle.

I really have a bad feeling about this.

Mai look at Naru and saw his calm face, seemingly unbothered by the situation.

How can he be so calm in a place like this?! And besides, the sun is about to set! What is those spirits appeared?! The ghost that pulled me seem to only target me. Naru's hitogata have been found and burned so I don't need to worry about some ghosts targeting him.

Mai sighed as she realised that the hexer took notice of her and even cursed her. Mai cursed under her breath as she remembered the little ghost's face. Mai's foot touched something and she reached out to grab the thing beside her foot. Mai knew that it was a hitogata as soon as she touched the wooden thing. She brought out her phone and turn her flashlight on to see what is written on the hitogata.

Mai Taniyama. To be trapped in a manhole........ That damn Hexer!!

Mai fumed at the words written. She didn't mind being cursed but to be trapped in a dark and disgusting manhole?!?! What the heck! Arg!..... Wait... She still have her phone! She scrolled through her contacts and dialed Bou-san's number but her phone don't have signal. Her hopes died down as her shoulders slumped.

She sighed but she knew that Lin will find them since Naru is with her. Mai is sure that the Onmyoiji bodyguard will find them sooner than later since according to her research about him, he has 5 shikis with him to help so she don't have to worry.

Her eyes sparkled again and look at Naru, who is looking at her with a faint smile on his lips. Mai's words were stuck in her throat the moment she saw that smile.

He looks more like Mr. Guardian.

Her eyes widened as she stared at him in daze. Before she got to enjoy more of Naru's smiling face, the youth already reverted to his usual self.

Naru got lost in watching how Mai's emotions change that he didn't noticed himself smiling. Naru coughed to his fist to cover up his embarrassment. There is a faint blush on his cheeks and ears but because Mai turned off her phone's flashlight to hide her own embarrassment, she didn't see the other's face.

"Are you okay now?" Naru asked after regaining his composure.

"Y-yeah! How do you know?" Mai stuttered as Naru smiled secretly, seeing her stutter.

"First, you get depressed. Then you get upset. But after that, you start to feel better and start to think positive." Naru explained as Mai look at him in daze.

A memory pop out in her mind while Naru is speaking. It looks like a vision that appeared inside her head but Mai is so familiar with it so she regarded it as her memory that she forgot.