Chapter 27

Mai forced Bou-san to teach her some chants for exorcism and Bou-san taught her the Acala or The Immovable One after so much deliberation. Mai mastered spells since young but she wants to have an alibi to use as an excuse in case someone saw her exorcising some spirits. You never know. They also warned her that the exorcisms seems futile and wasn’t that effective if it was done by newbies but Mai didn't listen and continue memorizing the words. Yasu, who knew Mai well, just ignored them and went to make them some coffee. He is not really fond of tea so he ignored the teabags in the corner. He is not making tea for the boss anyway.

“So anyway, if Masako can’t help us, we are really going to be in trouble. She insists that even though she can’t see the spirits, she can tell where they are. But I wonder if that is really the case.” Bou-san stated his doubts while looking outside.

“But Shibuya-san told us that she’s one of the best right?” Yasu asked while Mai continue to practice the Acala.

“Hmm. Masako-chan is good at Kuchiyose.” Bou-san answered as Mai stopped her practice and asked what Kuchiyose means.

“Kuchiyose means answering questions in the voice of the dead by having spirits channel through one’s body but come to think of it, it has the same principle as Ouija boarding, right?” Bou-san continued while the others thought about it.

“I have only read this in books but I believe there are two types of psychic mediums; one is a regular psychic and the other uses ESP.” -John

“Oh. I read that too. That is Dr. Davis’ thesis right?” Bou-san said having sparkles on his eyes as the let out the name of his idol in his mouth.

Mai rubbed her chin and recalled that she had read that thesis too but unfortunately she stopped reading halfway through because she became busy in school and in her café business in England. Besides, despite having psychic abilities, she's never really interested in psychical researches and stuff. She wanted to know how to control her abilities and now that she had controlled it, she had no need of those research papers anymore.

She remembered the limited edition copy of Oliver Davis's thesis in her basement. She sighed and apologize to Naru in her heart. She needs to dig that paper up from that dusty place or else Naru will get angry. Well, who wouldn't get angry if they suddenly learned that their works are treated with disrespect?

“According to Dr. Davis, a psychic medium can be someone who has ESP, telepathy or possibly a psychometrist.” John continued as Yasu look at Mai for some explanation to the unfamiliar words he just heard.

“Psych… what?”

“Psychometrist is someone who has Psychometry. It is a psychic ability that see visions or past connected to the object a psychometrist touched. It is a form of extrasensory perception that is also called token-object reading or psychoscopy.” Mai explained as Bou-san continue his Dr. Davis 'fanboying'. Mai grinned at Bou-san and enjoyed his spelling eyes. He really likes that Dr. Oliver Davis. Mai wondered how will he react if he knew that his idol is just near by.

“Dr. Oliver Davis is a psychometrist so that is maybe the reason why he came up with this theory but Dr. Davis is also a scholar of BSPR or the British Society of Psychic Research in Great Britain. He is one of the few people in the world who have both ESP and Psychokinesis.  Eugene Davis is his brother and according to Dr. Davis, Eugene Davis is a perfect psychic medium.”

Mai stopped daydreaming about Bou-san's reaction and was stunned at the mention of Dr. Davis’ brother. She didn’t know he had a brother when she dig up something about him and she never dug deeper when she confirmed his identity. She respect Naru’s privacy and she may have read his thesis about mediums but she never really paid attention on who help Oliver Davis in coming up with that claim. She knew Naru is Oliver Davis but that's it. She never plan to go over the line unless the boss allowed her so the mention of a brother really made her froze in shock. She felt really stupid!