Chapter 21

“Wow. What a grand church!” Ayako exclaimed as she get out of the car.

Mai, who is assisted by Bou-san also followed her out and stare at the church in front of them. Mai stiffened as she saw the structure. It was the same as her dream. Her breath hitched and her heart beat faster but before Bou-san noticed something wrong about her, she moved her feet and walk.

The other car also arrived and the others followed them. Mai free herself from Bou-san when John and an old man in priest clothing came out of the church. Mai recognized the old man as the one who accepted Kenji in the orphanage. He looks much older than in her dreams. The event must have happened decades ago or so.

“Hello! I am glad you came!” John happily greeted.

“Shibuya-san, this is our client, Father Toujo. Father, this is Shibuya-sa, the president of Shibuya Psychic Research.” John introduced as the priest bowed in thanks.

Mai stopped on her tracks and look up at the statues that is decorated at the front of the church. After a few moments, her eyes widened and her mouth agape in shock as her body shook. Mai can feel the familiar pain of that suffocating sadness again as she stared at the skull seated at the foot of the first statue.

It was hidden behind the statue and by the shadows. It cannot be seen in first glance but because Mai had been staring at the statues intensely ever since they came, she spotted it easily.

‘D-Don’t t-tell me he hid there?!’

Mai covered her mouth with both her hands and bend her body down to avoid the sight of the skull. Naru, who was monitoring her every now and then, saw Mai move in his peripheral vision and also heard her stifled whimper so he immediately turn his head to her direction.

“Mai, are you okay?” Naru asked in concerned as he walked towards her. He held unto her shoulders and noticed her shaking and because her head is bowing, he couldn’t see her complexion.

Hearing a familiar and warm touch, Mai held Naru’s arm tightly and tried to voice out her words. But it was so weak that he couldn’t hear her!

The others also notices them and hurried towards them. Their worried voices sounds so far as Mai’s vision blurred. Mai looked at Naru and tried to point her finger up but he and the others didn’t look at her hand that is slightly raised. Mai’s eyelids became heavier and seconds only passed before she lost consciousness.

Naru panicked as he held the unconscious lad in his arms. Ayako checked Mai’s temperature and it had become worse. Bou-san stepped in and carried Mai but Naru did not fail to see the young lady’s hand that is pointing something.

***

“I am so sorry for the trouble.” Naru apologized as they sat in the living room.

“It is okay. I am very happy to help.” Father Toujo answered as he and the caretaker served them hot tea.

“Thank you. So may I know what the case is all about?” Naru asked politely towards the old priest while the latter smiled at him.

“There had been strange incidents occurring in this church. The past month, children in this church are being possessed by a spirit and will start acting peculiar.”

“Children?” Bou-san asked him, curiously.

“You must’ve been worried for that young girl that you didn’t noticed the children playing outside. The church watches the children of foreign workers. We also look after orphans and children of those parents who couldn’t take care of child.” Father Toujo answered and smiled.