Chapter 20

A/N: Hello! Long Time No See!! How are you guys?! Here is a Christmas Present from me guys! I hope you enjoy it! Please give me a feedback if possible!

***

Putting away all the documents on top of his table, Lin checked his phone for any updates from his charge. Naru went on a ‘trip’ again and this time, he went a bit far from him like he usually does. Lin’s boss said that he will arrive in the office an hour later so he remind the older man to check Mai if she is late and tell her of his arrival.

Lin sighed and went out of his office. He then saw Mai entering the office in her winter coat indicating that she just arrived a second ago. She then hang her coat and was quite surprised when she saw Lin in front of her.

“Oh! Hi there, Lin-san. How is your morning?” Mai asked cheerfully as she removed the headphone from her head. She was focused in listening that she didn’t noticed the presence in front of her.

“Taniyama-san. Naru will be arriving an hour later so make sure you prepare his tea the time he comes around.” Lin told her and returned to his office.

Mai expected him to be so cold to her because of what happened between them on their first meeting so she just let him go and smiled. It is December 22 today and it is a few days before Christmas! There is no need to entertain negative emotions!

***

Mai opened her eyes and roam her eyes around. She was just organizing her things in the office when she opened her eyes and discovered herself in one of her dreams. She can hear jovial giggles and also children’s footsteps that echoed around her.

She is standing in front of a construction site. The unfinished building seems to be a church. Three beautiful images of saints are carefully sculpted in the church’s front that is 3-4 meters high above the ground. Mai is a bit amazed by it so she entered the site and is surprised to see children playing around the construction.

‘Isn’t it a bit dangerous to play around here? What if a debris fall down on them?’ Mai thought as she sit on a log while watching the children play hide and seek.

One child attracted Mai’s attention while they play. That boy is no more than 12 years old but she noticed his lack of speech. He smiles and nod while the seeker explains the rules of the game to the child. They also handed a stick as a signal for him.

‘He must be mute.’

“Instead of saying words, you just have to use this stick. Hit it on a hard object for it to sound loudly. One hit if you are not ready and hit it a bunch of time if you are ready!”

“Let’s play!”

Mai saw how delightful that mute boy is as he run to find a way to hide. He chose to climb the tree and hit the stick hard numerous times indicating that he is ready. She watched for 20 minutes and the seeking seems to have trouble finding that boy.

The seeker already found all his playmates except the boy who is hiding in the tree. He gave up after a few moments and let the boy come out of his hiding place. That mute boy smiled victoriously as he went down. Mai smiled as she watch another round of their game. That mute boy won again and again as he alternate being a seeker and the one being found.

The sun is almost setting when a man in his thirties came and called them for dinner. He is wearing clothes for a priest so Mai concluded that these children may be orphans that the church accepted. He ordered them to wash up as the children told him how the mute boy won their games.