Chapter 14

"In the way of Onmyou, there is 'Enmi', which is one of the spells used to put a curse on someone. One must use a doll or a belonging from the person you want to cast a spell on. Actually 'hammering nails on voodoo dolls' is one of the Enmi spells."

"Normally when you think of voodoo dolls, it is assumed that the grudge of a person hammering the nails gets passed into the other person and that is how they get cursed. The Hexer will hammer the nails into the doll and pray to the spirits for them to curse the other person. The spirits will then accept the request and will begin to torment the person being cursed."

"Basically, by using Enmi, a Hexer calls for spirits or psychic energy and they will end up manipulating the evil spirits eventually." Naru explained and the SPR members was left dumbfounded.

"Then the ghosts that appeared here, in the prep room and at Yoshino-sensei's house were really evil spirits?" John asked with a pity and helpless expression.

"That's correct. I am confident that the events that happened here were all caused by the Enmi. Someone is putting curses on the school faculty and the students. Evil spirits are being cast upon them. And even though the spirits don't have the capacity to kill those people in one day, they will torment the victims little by little until they gradually drive them crazy to their deaths." Naru answered.

"This is still my theory though. And as a result of these psychic phenomena and after hearing the 'Ghost Rumors', most people at this school have now become paranoid." He added.

"Then the rumors like these can easily influence emotionally sensitive people making them concern that something might happen to them next." Ayako said while touching her chin, thinking.

"Right. The students who was possessed by a fox spirit is a good example of that since it has become a school-wide news" Bou-san seconded agreeing with the person who he bickers with.

Naru straightened and walked to the door, planning to search for Mai when the door he was about to touch slide open with a loud bang. Mai appeared in front of him as the others look at the new arrival person. Mai's shoulder length hair is messy and her hand is till gripping the door frame for support. Her shoulders move up and down while her erratic breaths are clearly heard. It is obvious that she have been running that cause her to this kind of state.

"Have you been running? Where have you been?" Naru asked with a cold scolding tone as he gave Mai a cup of water that he got from the water dispenser near the door.

Mai snatched the cup, letting some droplets of water sway and fall to the ground. She drank all of the contents of the cup and inhale deeply to calm herself down. Bou-san assisted her to sit on a chair while Mai is fixing her disheveled hair. Naru glared at Mai, demanding some explanation but Mai just waved at him and gave him something using her right hand. Everyone except Naru and Lin gasped at the sight of human-shaped wood.

"It is a Higogata!(doll)"

"Where did you get this?" Naru asked her with narrowed eyes.

"The desk that is said to be cursed. I got it while the students are outside. It is written that anyone who sit on that desk shall meet an accident . So that means the hitogata is not aiming for a particular person." Mai answered as Lin came and took the hitogata from Naru.

"It is well made. It is Enmi for sure." Lin said and look at Naru.

"Then... Who would do such things..." Bou-san asked, clearly shocked but stopped at a sudden realization.

"The answer is obvious. It must be that Kasai-san." Masako answered pulling her sleeves to cover her lips.

"Yeah. The victims are mostly against her so it might be her." Bou-san agreed at her nodding his head.