24 - sweet and sour

*song of the chapter: Sugar by Maroon 5 (just cause guys it's an awesome song)*

I spent the next hour hanging out in Cal's room. In his room were two bunk beds, and Cassy and Michael were sitting on the top bunk of one of them, fiddling with each others' hands and talking quietly. I think Sophia had gone to talk to some of her other friends, and Cal and I were sitting on the bottom bunk of the other bunk bed.

"Are they together?" I asked Calum, leaning my head on his shoulder.

He took my hand and rubbed circles into the top of it with his thumb, and I subconsciously smiled. "No. But I think they will get together soon. I've never seen Michael smile so much before. When he's around her he just..."

"Lights up?" I finished the sentence for him.

He nodded. "As cliché as it sounds, yes."

I heard Cassy's sweet giggle at something funny Michael had said, and I chuckled as well. They're sweetness was infectious. "Kind of like when Ashton saw Ellie earlier..." I observed, a pang of something sour in my chest hitting me like a football.

"Kind of, yeah. But that wasn't as if he like liked her, just as if he hadn't seen his best friend in ages." Cal shrugged, and I sat up, leaning against the wall behind us.

"I guess." I said, looking at Calum with a small smile. He smiled back.

Suddenly, Sophia ran into the room, breathing heavily. "Go... lobby... activity... now." She managed to create four simple words and then ran off again.

"I guess we're going out today." I said, and got off the bed, pulling Calum up with me.

"It's a date." Cal winked at me and laughed when I gave him a serious look. He intertwined our hands and we left the room, Cassy and Mikey following after us.

We met up with everyone in the lobby, and they said nothing about being in our groups, so we were all mixed together. I stood next to Calum and soon Luke and Cara joined us. Ashton was last down the stairs, Ellie following after him. Ellie quickly joined her father next to Ms Hemmings and Ashton came and stood with me.

It seemed that we were going to somewhere called Laxey to see this huge red wheel thing called the 'Laxey wheel'. We all climbed in the coach and I sat next to Calum. Ashton linked eyes with me and he sighed, sitting next to one of his jock friends at the back of the coach since Ellie was next to her dad at the front. I looked around to see Luke speaking quietly to Cara, whose eyes were wide and she was nodding silently.

Suddenly, Cara let out a loud high-pitched scream, and the driver lurched the coach in surprise. There was that sudden, silent, heart-wrenching pause where you can hear everyone suck in a quick gasp of air, and everyone had the mini heart-attack before something goes incredibly wrong.

But after that, everyone's hearts were set to rest, because the driver righted the coach and we were all calmed. I had gripped Calum's hand in the tiny moment, and I sighed, intertwining our fingers in relief.

"Cara!" My english teacher shouted, standing up and sending murderous glares at the girl. Cara cowered away, gripping onto Luke's arm, but Luke shook her off. "Why did you scream?"

"I - I..." Cara didn't have an answer, and the angry woman just got more angry.

"Give me an answer now, or you will have detention for a month."

"I got dumped." Cara muttered, staring at her hands, and the whole coach burst out in laughter. I just glowered. Seriously? She screamed because Luke dumped her?

Wait... Luke dumped her?

I met Luke's gaze with questioning eyes, but he just shrugged.

Cara got shouted at some more, but I wasn't listening. I was just staring at mine and Cal's intertwined hands, as he fiddled with my fingers.

What the hell was going on with my emotions right now?

*~*

We all stood below the humongous red Laxey Wheel, and I tilted my head to look all the way to the top.

"Hey Luke, it's almost as tall as you!" I exclaimed to the giant blond boy. He laughed and came to stand beside me. As I stared up at the wheel, he stared down at me. "How many of you's do you think it would take to be as tall as this?" I asked him, meeting his gaze.

He chuckled again and shrugged. "Lots, probably."

"Come on, Lukey, you're the maths student, you should know. Use your giant brain!" I giggled, flicking him in the forehead.

He frowned and rubbed his forehead. "I'm not that good, you're better."

I shrugged, and then spotted Cara, who was glaring at us with laser eyes. I was surprised we weren't a pile of ashes on the ground. "Why'd you break up with Cara?" I asked Luke.

He sighed. "I've already told you, I didn't like dating the girl who broke Michael's heart. And also, I like someone else." He said, staring into my eyes.

Suddenly, I realised what he meant when he said I was oblivious. He liked someone else... that someone else was me, wasn't it?

My crush liked me back...

Well, I'd never been in this situation before.

"It's m-" but I was interrupted by a load chorus of cheers erupted from the right of us.

I looked in the direction of the cheers, and I saw Michael and Cassy. His hand was on her chin, tilting it up to face him, and their lips were touching gently. I cheered along as her hands went up to wrap around his neck. Finally.

I wanted something like those two had. I wanted that sweetness, that love.

I felt arms wrap around my waist from behind and Luke's voice was gently whispering in my ear, sending goosebumps up my arms. "Yes, Tavie, it's you."

I twisted around in his arm and stared into his beautiful bright ocean blue eyes. Wrapping my arms around him, I stood on my tiptoes and did what I'd wanted to do for three years now.

I kissed him.