42 - code nine

"Cassy?" I muttered into the phone. I was on my way home, tears beginning to stream down my face as I realised what had just happened. The sun had almost entirely set now, and the wind was picking up even more, whipping my hair into my face.

"Tavie? Are you alright?" I heard some muttering in the background of the phone, and heard Cass say, "shut up Michael, it's Tavie."

"I'm alright, Cass. Can you come over though?" I said, trying to stop my voice form breaking.

"Okay, code one or code ten emergency?" She said. We'd picked up this kind of way to rate how much we needed each other, whether it was to get out of an awkward situation or whether we just needed a hug.

"I'd say about nine." I said, trying to bite back my sobs.

"I'll bring the whole of asda's ice cream aisle with me." She giggled, trying to cheer me up. I laughed, for her sake. "No Mikey you cannot freaking come." She laughed at her boyfriend, and I heard a thud and a groan from the boy while she laughed harder. "I'll see you in five, love." She said to me, and hung up.

I was hurting, my whole body ached and the sobs began to take over me as I stumbled up the drive to the door of my house. When I turned around to look behind me I saw him. The tall blonde boy who had ruptured my heart was standing at the end of my road, just watching.

"Go home!" I screamed with all of my might at him, and ran inside my house before he could try and talk to me.

I sighed, leaning against the door, and checked the time. Three more minutes until I could vent it all to Cassy.

Those three minutes seemed to pass by painfully slowly to me while I laid on my bed staring at the ceiling. Everywhere I looked, I could see Luke, and now everything I felt seemed numbed, as I had lost my love for him.

When three minutes eventually did pass and the doorbell rang, I ran downstairs to open the door and I hugged the lovely blonde girl with all my strength.

"Tavie!" She squeaked, laughed and trying to push me off of her. "The food! You're squishing it!" She giggled and I pulled away.

"No! Not the food!" I laughed, but there were still tears in my eyes and Cassy looked at me sadly.

"What happened?" She asked as I beckoned her in and shut the door behind her.

"Luke happened." I muttered, my voice breaking.

"Oh, Tavie, I'm sorry." She said, setting the food down and pulling me in for another hug.

My brother was out and my mum was also out with my dad, so Cass and I had the house to ourselves. We went into the living room and Cassy put her favourite movie on and we fed each other ice cream, laughing and occasionally crying.

"Cassy, I can't stand Luke anymore. Being with him is like being on a rollercoaster, but it's making me feel sick. One moment he's open and in love with me, the next he wants to get rid of me and he hates me. It's so confusing." I groaned, putting my head in my hands, partly due to a brain freeze and partly because I couldn't look at her throughout this confession.

"What exactly happened to cause this sudden change of attitude towards him?" My best friend asked me, a gentle, reassuring smile on her face.

"H-he said his love for me is only a little crush. And... a-and it was him who pulled that prank on me in the tunnels in the Isle of Man." I said in between sobs.

Cassy pulled me in for a hug, and I wrapped my arms tightly around her, clinging on with all my might so I wouldn't drown in my own tears. "I'm so so sorry, Tavie. I can't believe he'd do something like that to you. Even I believed he loved you." She whispered, and I nodded in defeat.

"I guess he's just good at playing the boyfriend." I muttered into her shoulder.

It felt like that hug lasted hours. I just couldn't bear to let go of one of the best people in my life after having let go of Luke. Cassy was my tie to reality at the present, and she had always been able to help me in my doubts about Luke in these past couple of weeks.

Yes, she was friends with Ashton, but she never let that friendship make her biased when she helped me with my relationship with Luke.

She was such a good friend to me, and I loved her from the bottom of my heart.

"How are you and Michael?" I asked her when we finally pulled away from each other.

She smiled. "Oh, Tavie, I've never loved anyone this much." She whispered, holding a hand over her heart with a small sigh.

I smiled. These two made me so happy, they were absolutely adorable together. "What were you up to earlier with him?"

"Pizza and cuddles." She grinned, hugging herself and rocking from side to side.

I giggled. "So not Netflix and chilling?" I winked at her, and she slapped my shoulder.

"Shut up!" She exclaimed, blushing bright red and hiding her face.

"Cassy! You haven't!" I exclaimed, my hands flying to my mouth in surprise and excitement.

"Just... um... m-maybe? Look... er..." Cassy was at a total loss for words, and I grinned at how adorable she was.

"You guys are in love, I get it." I smiled at her and she nodded. "So when did it happen? I want all the details!"

"L-last weekend..." She muttered, her face still blushing a deep, deep red as she told me.

"Aw Cassy, you and Michael are so adorable." I grinned, eating more ice cream.

"Th-thanks." She muttered, smiling widely as well.

We settled back and watched the rest of Peter Pan, that we had unfortunately been ignoring as we had had our conversations, but now managed to watch the last half an hour curled up next to each other eating our ice cream.