35 - my problems just fly away

I only started understanding Luke's words from that date properly the next day at school. I had gone to bed on Sunday evening feeling light-headed and giddy. Naturally, mum had asked me millions of questions as soon as I walked into the door, but I just shook them off and hurried upstairs to go to bed.

One of the best moments of the day though, was when Luke sent me a goodnight text. It was so sweet, and made my heart flutter. He called me 'his beautiful', and it caused me to adopt the widest of smiles. He was pretty much perfect, and I was just incredibly happy with him. Whatever Ashton had meant when he was drunk and jealous, it must have just been a lie.

But, I wasn't so sure on Monday.

It started pretty much just like any other normal school day; I woke up grumpy, hit my alarm a little too hard, got in the car and had a normal sibling row with Aaron, and then got out of the car and plastered a half-assed smile on my face when I joined Calum at the school entrance.

But I started to see signs that something was wrong when I waved at Luke, and he only smiled a tiny subtle smile back to me and then went back to talking to a couple of his other friends. That sent nervous feelings running up my spine, planting seeds of doubt in my mind.

Calum must have sensed my discomfort, because he looked down at me with a slightly worried expression on his face. "You alright, Tavie?" He asked, hugging me to his side tighter.

I nodded and looked away from Luke before I could become any more suspicious. "Yeah, I'm fine." I replied, putting my arm around his waist to reinforce my words.

Cal didn't seem to believe me very much, but I just shook away the doubts and concentrated on this Monday morning.

First, was English. I met Cassy in there, and she grinned at me. I could only manage a small smile in return. I know Luke's reaction to my wave was nothing to be worried about. He was probably just preoccupied in his conversation with his friend to wave back, but it still worried me, and I couldn't shake the nervous feeling off my mind.

It seemed like this feeling was justified, unfortunately, as throughout that day Luke acted nothing like he had over the trip to the Isle of Man or yesterday's date. He was so distant, and I managed to grab him after an agonisingly awkward lunch.

I pulled him down to the football field and we sat in the spot where I seemed to take people when I was feeling nervous or bad about something.

"Luke, what's going on? You've been dodging me all day." I sighed and tried to catch his eye. He still managed to avoid eye contact. When I reached up to touch his cheek to get him to look at me he flinched away.

"Maybe I didn't think us through, Tave." He muttered, staring at his shoes.

I crossed my arms over my chest, my eyebrows furrowing. "What does that mean? Of course you didn't think us through, we happened just after you broke up with Cara. It was so fast, neither of us were able to think it through before it happened. But that's what's so good about us; we don't have to think. I don't have to think about everyone else when I'm with you. My problems just fly away (lol song name drop), and I'm left with just you, only you." I put my hands on either side of his face and forced him to look at me. His eyes were blank, expressionless circles of blue that did nothing to my heart.

Maybe we had rushed into it...

I shook the thought away and willed him to understand me.

"I... I wanted to get you before the others did. I like you, Tave, a lot, and it caused me to rush into something I wasn't sure how to deal with. But now it's caused all of us four to be pulled apart and I'm not sure how to fix it. Well, Calum's actually okay with it, but I know he lo... likes you and he wants to be with you, but he also wants you to be happy, and he seems to think you're happy with me." I dropped my hands. I could barely understand Luke, he was talking so fast, as if he was letting out all these compressed words that he had been holding back all morning, or even longer. "But Ashton, he is sulking... I think. He's trying to deal with it, for the sake of you and the band, but it's so transparent I could make a window out of it."