67 - while you're looking happy

I'm going through hell

*Ashton's POV* (haven't done a different point of view in a long while)

"Ashton, you're coming out with us, okay? Luke's throwing an end-of-exams party, and you have to go!" Cassy pulled on my arm as I wandered down the hall with her and Michael.

"I don't have to go. I have free will, you know. It's a human right," I raised my eyebrows at her, and she huffed.

"Yeah, well... it's not one tonight. You're coming, and that's that."

It was the Friday after that fateful Sunday when it seemed like I'd said goodbye to Octavia for good. She had looked exhausted, and I needed to give her that freedom from me, whatever pain it meant for me.

"Fine," I sighed, giving in to her.

She grinned happily. "Good. Mikey and I will pick you up from yours at 7, sound okay?"

I nodded, and she excitedly skipped away, 'Mikey' in tow.

I headed out to the car park and got in my car, driving home in silence. My thoughts were everywhere; they had been since Sunday. I just could not push her out of my head, and she was now creating my own personal hell inside my mind. Thank god our exams were finally over, because if I'd had any more I would have failed them all.

I got home and took a shower. I trudged through my actions of getting ready for Luke's party, and then my phone buzzed.

It was from Kori, who I hadn't seen for a few weeks.

Kori: What you up to tonight, Ash?

Ash: Actually, I'm going to a party at Luke's.

Kori: He's the blonde one, right? With the quiff?

I laughed.

Ash: Yeah, but the quiff is no more. He started wearing his hair flat on Sunday.

Kori: Omg, #ripquiff

I laughed again.

Ash: Anyway, you could probably come to this party with me, if you wanted? You'd finally get to meet everyone!

Kori: Sorry, I'm actually busy tonight. I just wanted to meet up for like a half hour or something to chat before I go to meet someone.

Ash: Okay. Well, you can ring me instead if you really want to talk?

After a few seconds my phone began to ring. I answered immediately and Kori's excited voice rang in my ear.

"Oh my god, Ash, I finally got with Sam!" She exclaimed.

I smiled. "That's great, Kori. I'm really happy for you," I said, although I had my reservations. Despite her tough appearance, Kori was a very compassionate girl. Sometimes too compassionate. From what I'd heard about Sam from her, I was a little worried he might be a total douche to her.

"It is great! Now we're both with the people we skipped school for the day we met. We should double date sometime," she was getting carried away, and her words surprisingly hurt. But she didn't know...

"Kori, Octavia and I broke up last week..." I muttered.

There was silence for a minute, before she burst out with words that meant little to me, "oh god, I'm sorry Ashton. I didn't know."

"It's okay," I replied.

"No, it's not. You must be going through hell. I know how much she meant to you," Kori just dug her hole further.