47 - sometimes i don't speak right

but yet I know what I'm talking about

*third person pov*

Ashton skipped school on Wednesday.

He was not sure how he would be able to face Octavia and act like everything was alright. Because it was not. Not at all.

And he wasn't sure which of the two reasons he could give as to why it really wasn't alright was the correct explanation.

He couldn't ignore his feelings for her anymore. That was one.

He had been trying so hard to make it a natural friendship, but it was getting harder and harder to hide his feelings and just carry on as a friend like he knew she needed him to.

She was being the perfect friend, making him feel so much better after what happened on Monday.

But he was scared that he could only take so many sleepovers before he caved and spilled all his feelings to her. She didn't need that, and to be honest, neither did he.

Ashton walked into McDonald's - since he couldn't stay home or he'd be caught skipping school - and dragged his feet over to the counter, preoccupied with all the thoughts flying around in his head. He thought of imaginary, perfect worlds where he could just be with Octavia and just live one perfect year with her over and over again. He knew that after - or even before - one year ended, it would no longer be perfect, problems would inevitably arise, but in his perfect world, there was no Luke, no Calum, no problems, for a whole year, a year which repeated itself over and over again just for them. But it was so perfect that they would never get bored of it.

McDonald's wasn't busy, since it was noon on a Wednesday, and normally this place would be inhabited by teenagers after school. Ashton spotted a girl in the corner of the restaurant who looked like she should be at school - but of course he couldn't talk. After he had got his burger he wandered over to a table beside hers and unsubtly stared at her until she acknowledged him.

She groaned and looked at him with an arched eyebrow. "What?"

Ashton chuckled to himself then looked back at his sandwich, trying his best to appear disinterested in her.

She cleared her throat, and now it was her turn to unsubtly stare. "You literally just watched me for a whole two minutes, what do you want?"

"Shouldn't you be in school?" Ashton looked up at her with a smile playing on the corners of his lips.

She raised both eyebrows now. "And how old are you, Mr Hypocrite?"

"Actually, that could be really insulting if I was over eighteen," Ashton said, being difficult.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

"Says the uneducated ape."

Ashton put a hand over his heart with a gasp. "Hey! That's animal abuse!" He feigned hurt, and the girl laughed. She had a pretty laugh, which didn't go unnoticed by Ashton.

He then took the time to notice what she was wearing. She had on a red plaid skirt and a black sweater, along with a black beanie, black tights, and black timberlands.

"I'm Kori." She smiled at him, reaching her hand out so they could shake hands.

He smiled back and gripped her hand with his own. "Ashton," he replied.

"So, what are you skipping school for?" she asked him, putting a fry in her mouth.

"Unrequited love," he half-joked with a half-smile.