40 - sunshine on a rainy day

// a/n omg guys we're at chapter 40!!! *throws confetti* //

*luke's pov*

"We just gotta get out, we just gotta get out." I sang. The band and I were practicing in Ashton's garage again, playing Calum's song for like the millionth time that morning. We had deciding Saturday morning would be a good time to practice, so I had had to get up at like six in the morning so I could do my hair in time to leave. I'm sorry, but this quiff takes time to perfect.

"Ashton, you're out of time." I muttered as we had to stop because it was all getting messed up.

"Oh, just because you're so perfect. I think you'll find it was your singing that was out of time." Ashton grumbled, looking down.

"Ash, it was you." Michael replied, running a hand through his newly red hair in frustration.

Ash groaned. "Sorry."

We had been putting up with this for the past few rehearsals, Ash would space out or give me snide remarks. We all knew it was to do with Octavia. Ever since he had spoken with her, and then with Cassy, he would be thinking of her all the time. Especially after his day with Cassy. Something had clicked in him and he had realised he was not going to go down without a fight for Octavia. After my talk with Shay, I had decided I shouldn't block Tavie out, but it was getting more and more difficult not to get annoyed at this situation.

"Ash mate, you need to pick yourself up. The band's suffering because of all this." I muttered.

"Shut up, don't tell me what to do." Ashton threw a harsh glare at me and my mouth shut immediately.

"Luke hasn't done anything to you." Michael said to Ashton. Cal just stood there watching it all unfold.

"You don't know the half of it, keep your nose out." Ash spat, then turned to me as he stood up from the drum kit. "What makes you think you deserve her? What makes you think you have any right over her that I don't?" He asked me.

I stood there, stuck to the spot. It was all happening now, at this moment. Everything between the two of us had been building up to right now, and I had even prepared all my answers. But now it had come down to it, I had no idea what to say. The truth was, none of us had a right to her. None of us deserved her, even (except maybe Calum, but he wasn't going to do anything about it, we all knew that). I had just got to her before any of the others.

"I don't have a right to her. I just crossed the finish line before you." I replied.

Ashton scoffed. "That's not true. I kissed her before you did."

I remembered now. That was why Aaron got into hospital, wasn't it?

"Well then, I guess she liked me before she liked you." I answered.

Ashton's fists were clenching at his sides, and I backed away a little. I knew he could get very violent when he was angry, and images of Aaron's face after his fight with Ashton flew into my surface memory.

I held my hands in front of me, trying to calm Ash down. "Look Ash, I-"

"Shut up! You don't deserve Tavie. After what you did to her in those tunnels on the school trip, you know she's too good for you. You have her running around for you, getting her to fight me and Calum off for you. You're using her, and then you treat her like you did in the tunnels. You knew she was claustrophobic, and yet you decided to play that prank on her and tell her to go the wrong way, you even laughed when you heard her screaming! She's a little ball of sunshine and doesn't deserve to be clouded up by you!" Ashton exclaimed.

Hearing a boy with such a reputation around school speak like that about a girl struck a chord in me, but I didn't have enough time to think about it, because just when it came up in my mind, Ashton lunged towards me and tried to punch me. Calum and Michael jumped towards us and pulled Ashton off of me before he could do any damage, and I sat up, holding my head in shock.

Band practice was obviously over after that, and I went home with time to reflect upon things.