48 - am i an honest man and true?

have I been good to you at all?
two days later (Friday)
*tavie's pov*

"There's a dance next week..." Ashton's voice trailed off, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yes... I know," I replied.

"I was wondering, since we've been hanging out a lot, if you wanted to come with me?"

My eyebrow raised higher.

"Purely in a platonic sense, of course. Just friends," he rambled. I might as well have been pointing a gun at him, he was so nervous.

"Of course, just friends," I muttered, nodding at him.

He smiled, "so is that a yes I hear, Octavia Taylor?" He asked, his smile widened as I nodded. He looked incredibly happy, and I was just glad to have caused that smile. "Are you coming to watch our band practice tonight? Calum told me that he'd asked you to come."

I nodded again. "Yeah, I think so. I just hope it won't be awkward with Luke. I haven't talked to him since I bumped into him at McDonald's."

"It's not going to be awkward, Tavie," Ashton assured me. I tilted my head to the side. How was he so sure?

* * *

That evening, I walked along with Calum to Ashton's house. I had a huge sense of déjà vu, and kept having little flashbacks to that night I found out who Calum was in this band with.

"Cal?" I looked at him from where I was walking beside him.

He had been watching his feet take step after hesitant step, biting his lip nervously. When he heard my voice, his eyes flickered over to meet mine, and he took a breath before saying, "yeah?"

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

He smiled and straightened up his posture. "I'm just as sure as I was the first time you came to band practice."

I smiled back. "So not sure at all?"

He laughed and nodded. "Yeah, I'm not sure at all. But I think it'll be fine," he assured me, and I let him put his arm around my shoulders. "Cassy'll be there too, so you guys can take comfort in each other's presence."

I grinned. "Yeah, it'll be nice to see her." I hadn't seen much of her since I broke up with Luke, so I was starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms now. Of course, it was my fault, I had been really preoccupied with Ashton and Luke and my life in general.

We kept talking and walking for a while, and I felt comfortable under Calum's arm, I felt safe. I had missed Calum just as much as Cassy the past week. He was my best friend, and I missed our stupid conversations and stupid pranks on each other. I missed his goofy smile and our goofy insults to each other, I just missed him.

"Y'know, I should warn you, Luke's going to act totally normal. He's not going to seem bitter, angry, or anything like you'd expect him to after the way you guys broke up. He's made a promise to the band that he won't let your relationship get in the way of our future, and I think that Shay's been helping him come to terms with the broken feelings between you as well," Calum informed me.

I smiled, but a little pang in my chest told me that, even though I'd deleted all those pictures, I wasn't quite over him. I was getting there, though. That's the important thing.

"You know, I need to officially meet this Shay. She seems cool."

Mainly because of the fact that she manages to be friends with the hottie that is Luke and not fall head over heels for him. That takes some willpower.