51 - i wear my heart upon my sleeve

like a big deal

I checked my reflection in the mirror for one last time before I opened the door to Ashton. Aaron had left to pick up Sophia about ten minutes ago, mum and dad being a little upset that they couldn't get pictures of him for themselves. However, to his dismay, they made him promise to take pictures himself to show them after the dance. Our parents were sentimental like that.

"Ashton! How nice to see you! Wow, you look dashing," Mum gushed from where she was standing behind me.

He definitely did look 'dashing'. He was dressed in a fancy suit, his curly hair tamed into soft waves, and his hazel eyes were brought to attention by the slick black tie he was wearing.

Those eyes were currently looking at me, taking in the dress and the shoes and my hair. His intense gaze caused me to blush, dropping my head to look at the floor so that my red hair which I had curled fell forward to hide my face.

He stepped inside, when invited by my mother, and took my hand in his to give it a light squeeze. I squeezed back as we followed Mum and Dad into the lounge to take pictures in front of the fireplace.

Dad took out a camera and Mum ushered us into poses. Ashton put his arm around my waist and the touch made me look down at the floor in embarrassment. This sure didn't feel like the 'platonic' evening he had promised me.

But I gritted my teeth through the pictures and Ashton led me out of the house by my hand, helping me into the car and then walking around to the driver's seat.

"Are you alright, Tavie?" He asked as he started the engine and backed out of my driveway. I nodded and smiled at him, my fingers fiddling with my handbag. He glanced at me and sighed, but gave me a gentle smile. "I know you better than that. What's wrong?"

I shook my head adamantly. "Nothing's wrong, Ash."

"It's okay, I'm nervous too," he whispered. I just sighed.

That's the thing. If this was a platonic friendship, we wouldn't be nervous. I really hope that this evening will go as planned.

We reached the school and I got out of the car before Ashton could even think of helping me. However, he did put his arm around my waist as we walked inside, following a red carpet since this dance was themed around the red carpet and all that.

I saw Cassy and grinned. She was in her beautiful dress, her hair pulled over her right shoulder, and her make-up was simple but effective. Her arm was around Michael's waist and his was over her shoulder. He was also in a suit just as amazing as Ashton's, but his tie was teal to match Cassy's dress.

I then saw Luke, who was talking to a beautiful girl in a short purple dress. Her hair was brown, and it fell over her shoulders in controlled curls. Luke must have felt my eyes on him because his head turned and he met my gaze. He looked a little afraid, but took his date's hand and led her over to where Ashton and I were standing. Ashton's grip tightened slightly on me, and he pulled me closer.

Luke noticed this and his eyes narrowed, but only for a second before he regained control of his face.

"Hi, Octavia," he smiled at me, then turned to his date. "This is Di, I met her last week when my mum introduced me to her. Mum met her mum at a teacher's conference."

"Hi Di, it's nice to meet you," I smiled at her, and hated myself for the bitterness that seeped into my voice.

"Hello, Octavia," she replied with a wide, genuine smile, "Luke's told me lots of lovely things about you." I noticed an accent in her voice.

"Are you Italian?" I asked with keen interest. I didn't come across many Italians, but looking her now I could see her Italian heritage in her face.