71 - where we're from, we're no one

our hometown's in the dark

In the end I decided not to let Fred down, and so turned down Calum's offer but promised to dance with him at least five times.

A few hours before prom was scheduled to start, I was getting ready at Cassy's house, fussing over our dresses and makeup and hair. I had decided to do something a little different this time, and my hair was up in a braided bun. Cassy said it looked gorgeous, but I was doubting it.

Cassy's hair was in a loose braid that fell over her shoulder, strands of hair floating around her face. Her dress was a gorgeous red wine colour, and she had matching lipstick and heels that completed the look.

My dress was a dark green that would go with my dyed dark red hair. It had been hell trying to find a dress that was different to the one I wore to the last dance that would still go with my hair. My shoes were green strappy heels, and my eyeshadow also worked with the green theme.

A horn beeped outside the house. I looked out the window and saw that it was Fred.

"Right, that's my cue. I'll see you there," I said to Cassy, hugging her and kissing her on the cheek before hurrying out her bedroom door and down the stairs.

"Great, thanks for getting lipstick on my face!" She shouted after me.

I giggled. "Sorry!" I replied, and went out the door. I hugged my jacket closer to me. Even though it was the beginning of July, the nights still got cold as the sun was going down. I hopped into the passenger side and looked over at Fred, who was smiling at me.

"You look incredible," he said, and got out a box with a flower inside.

"So do you," I replied. He was in a nicely fitted suit, a dark green tie on to match my dress.

"I know I could have got one of those flowers that go on your wrist, but I knew you'd be wearing bracelets and I thought this one would look nice in your hair," he said, as he tucked a gorgeous green flower in my hair.

I smiled. "Thanks, Fred, it's beautiful."

He smirked and turned to face the road as he started the car. "Just like you," he replied.

I gagged as a joke, his smirk showed that he knew he'd said the cheesiest line in the book.

As we drove off, Michael pulled up to the front of Cassy's house and Cassy ran out the door in excitement.

Fred and I soon arrived at the school, where students were filing in to the front entrance. We spotted Nick going in by himself, and we quickly got out of the car and hurried inside. We grabbed Nick and took him to take some pictures with us in front of the green screen. The yearbook editors were going to edit different backgrounds to each picture.

When I took some pictures with just Fred, we mainly did silly ones, my hand on his shoulder and him holding my leg across his waist, stupid stuff like that.

After I took a couple of pictures with just Fred, I let Nick and Fred take some pictures together.

After that, Nick dragged me in for some pictures with us two, and I was quite surprised. It wasn't like we got on that well, I had assumed that he wouldn't want to take pictures with me. I gave him a wide smile and kept it for the pictures. He put his arm around my waist and I leant my head on his shoulder. When I felt him relax, I knew I was doing a good job of comforting him. I knew who his eyes has landed on, and now that I knew the story I felt awful for him when my own eyes found Jason and Ava, slow dancing in each other's arms.

I decided against saying anything to him, and instead just smiled for the camera, knowing all he wanted was to enjoy the night.

After a couple pictures, Fred grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the dance floor as an upbeat song came on. I laughed and started jumping up and down with him, grinning as I noticed his huge smile.