52 - they'll be chasing their tails

trying to track us down

I don't know why, maybe it was the dance earlier - or the fact that I really needed to pee but couldn't get out of bed - but I could not get to sleep that night. Ashton was on my mind from midnight until morning, and try as I might I could not shake the thought of him away.

That dance had been magical, as much as I wish it hadn't, I can't deny it.

And as I watched the sun rise through my window on Monday morning, I still couldn't help but wish Ashton was sitting here watching it with me.

Now, readers, this is where we notice that the rose-tinted glasses have been glued onto me. I seem to lose all common sense and any doubts or negative thoughts and feelings I used to stand by about Ashton get thrown out of the window; now all I can think of are his eyes.

Somebody slap me please (unless, of course, you're an #ashie fan, I guess you guys must be rejoicing right now).

The week after the dance was boring. In school we did practically nothing because it was nearing the end of term, and after school the boys were always at band practice and Cassy was at work on Monday night and other nights she was... actually that's a good question, but I'll ask her later.

She was working on Mondays now because she took over for Michael at the animal shelter. He had to give up his position there so that he could give up more time to band practice, but Cassy had been going there with him to help so regularly that they let her step in.

That Friday night after my last day of term I was lying on my back on my bed when I heard my phone ring. I sat up, too quickly, and tried to recover from my dizziness as I reached blindly for my phone. As my hand found it I quickly accepted the call and brought it to my ear.

"Hey Tavie, how are you?" I heard Ashton's voice from my phone and I grinned and fell back onto my bed, looking at the ceiling with a smile.

"I'm good, how are you?"

He chuckled for no reason, but I still laughed with him. "I'm also good. I was wondering if you're around much this Easter?"

I thought of my mental calendar. "I'm home all holiday, yeah. My family will be organising a few day trips though," I answered.

"Good. So how about tomorrow?"

"What do you mean tomorrow?"

"Are you free tomorrow? To go out with me?" Ashton asked me, as if it was the simplest question in the world.

And for rose-tinted-glasses-Octavia, it was. "Of course!"

"I'll pick you up at 4:00 tomorrow afternoon?" Ashton sounded ecstatic, but as if he was trying to hide it with a calm voice.

I grinned. "Sounds good! I can't wait!" I replied, and he echoed my excitement and then hung up. I put my phone down and laid there for a while, unable to hide my smile.

I then heard the front door open and close downstairs and realised Aaron was back from a date he'd gone on with Sophia that evening. I jumped up from the bed - again getting dizzy but ignoring it - and ran downstairs to interrogate him. Mum beat me to it.

"So, did you ask her?" Mum asked before I could.

We both stood in front of him, staring at him expectantly.

He laughed and nodded, causing us to immediately suffocate him in a bone-crushing hug. He wrapped his arms around us too and we jumped around in circles squealing like little girls.

"Aaron, congrats! You have an amazing girlfriend now!" I shouted right in his ear and we all stepped out of the hug.

Aaron nursed his ringing ear as he replied. "Thanks Tavie, thanks Mum. I couldn't have had the courage to ask her if it weren't for the both of you pushing me out of this door," he said.