14| Strip

This is exactly like you expected.

Funky music rolling through cheap speakers and the buttery savors of popcorn.

Regardless of the situation you're in, you feel a pump of excitement rush through your veins as you walk between Jungkook and Yoongi.

This place is filled with silly games, rides, and prices ranging from huge plushies to small-sized toys that you gawk at like a little kid.

"What is this place?"

You snap your gaze at Jungkook with widened eyes. Has this guy seriously never been to a carnival?

With his formal white shirt and office-like black shoes, he stands out fully—like a fish out of water. He scans through the vivid colors of the place with a completely disoriented expression.

"It's a carnival," you tell him plainly. "You've never been here as a kid?"

Jungkook stops walking—so abruptly that you stop with him. When you glance up at him, his eyes are hooded, jaw tightened,  and face rigid than ever.

You gnaw on your lips nervously, wondering if you had said something wrong.

For a moment, you could have sworn there was an emotion in his eyes that you couldn't fully decipher. But you're positive it was something close to hurt.

Before you could confirm it, his eyes turned hawky, reverting to their natural cold and haughty phase. Beside you, Yoongi swipes a frustrated hand through his hair, letting his black strands settle messily over his forehead. 

"Anyone up for ice cream?"

The question served as a change of subject but you didn't mind. "Me!" You chirp avidly, cutting off the thick blanket of awkwardness.

"Flavor?"

"Chocolate chip."

"Jungkook?" You turn to him, wondering what flavor he'll pick. In the end, he shakes his head at the offer. You frown at him.

Who in the right head would turn down ice cream?

Considering that Jungkook has never been to a carnival, you're taking the hint that his childhood wasn't ordinarily fun. But judging him based on one fact would be totally irrational. Besides, it's not like you care.

"The ice cream's on me," Yoongi says, shoving a hand in his pocket to pull out several creased bills.

"Not a chance," you interject, handing him the money you had shamelessly stolen from Samuel at the function.

Yoongi arches a brow at you. "I have self-respect to maintain," he utters slowly. "I'm not taking a penny from a broke lady."

You open your mouth to protest but he's already sauntering off towards the ice cream stall like he owns the world. You roll your eyes at him. 

Snorting in disbelief, you turn to Jungkook, watching him eyeing the balloon shooting game with his lips slightly parted like a child. A lopsided grin breaks onto your lips.

"You look like you're dying to play that," you tease, sarcasm dripping in your tone. "Wanna play one-on-one?"

Jungkook snaps his gaze away from the game before snorting at your suggestion. "No," he mutters bitterly. "We have to head back soon."

"What a killer joy," you snit, then walk towards the salesman before handing him money for two players. But on your next breath, Jungkook's hand fastens around your wrist, hauling you back in front of his rock-like chest.