50| Forgive & Forget

"Take a U turn."

Lisa wrinkles her nose at your command.  "What about boba?"

Her calmness adds a dose of rage to your body. "Do I look like I'm in the mood to drink a sugary drink with chewy balls in them?"

When she takes a look at your face, she swallows. "Sorry. You look like you could kill me."

"Good," you respond. "Turn the car around."

With a skeptical glance your way, she turns the steering wheel before flooring the car. You can't help staring at her, trying to understand why she would lie to you.

How does she know about Taehyung? You only remember telling her about Jungkook but you never mentioned any of his friends.

Now that you think about it, ever since you mentioned Jungkook to her, Lisa has always twisted the conversation to include the Grim Reaper in it. Yes, everyone thinks the Reaper is hot, but no one defends the Reaper the way Lisa does.

"So did you go to work today?" You ask, making Lisa turn to you briefly. "No, uh, I work tomorrow."

"Right," you say, keeping your tone casual. "Starbucks?"

She nods. "Yup. I start 5 in the morning. Let me know if you want anything. Their fall drinks are bomb."

You quickly google Starbucks on the internet, scrolling to look at the times. "Starbucks is closed tomorrow."

At this point, you're turning into a lie detector.

Something ghostly passes in the air and Lisa turns to you with her face as white as snow.

For a moment, you imagined her to lie again but then she relaxes her shoulders, turning to you with a pained look. "Fine. You got me."

Now that was the beauty of not giving people the benefit of the doubt.

"What have you been up to?" You ask, narrowing your eyes at her.

Lisa nibbles on her bottom lip before turning to look at you sympathetically. "Look, please don't get mad."

You fold your hands to your chest. "That depends on what you say."

Singing, Lisa flicks a signal for a lane change before shortly pulling over by your street. Then she turns the engine off to look at you.

This is Lisa. Your best friend who taught you Korean. Someone you've always found closure with. You would have never imagined her to keep anything from you.

A slight twinge in your heart makes you realize that this is exactly what happened with Jungkook earlier. A naked truth was all it took to break your bond with him. A truth that's neither naked nor real.

Lisa takes a shaky breath. "You know how I need money, right?"

You nod, already not liking where where this is going. People do dangerous things for money.

Lisa stares at the lines on her palms. "The Grim Reaper offered me a job a little over a year ago. I've been working for him. Running errands for him every now and then."

His name makes something dark creep in the air and you swallow, not fully surprised. "Errands such as?"

There's a furrow between Lisa's brows and she presses her lips together. "I-I do his dirty work. I partner him for drug dealing. I recruit other people for his show, and I sometimes..."

You stare at her keenly, waiting for her to continue. "I'm his assassin."

Somewhere in your head, a trumpet blows and you let out a deranged laugh. "Wow," you clap, and Lisa frowns at you. "Y/N, I'm sorry. I was going to tell you but you got so close to Jungkook and—"