17| Like A Genie

The lamplights glimmer around you, bathing Jimin's smile with golden brilliance.

"Very well," he says, stylishly crossing a leg over the other. "If we're gonna talk, I need you to trust me—trust us."

"Trust is earned," you interject boldly. "Not just given."

Jimin tilts his head to the side, intrigued. "If you don't trust me, then you wouldn't be here."

Your lips part, but you aren't sure how to respond. Jimin may have the charms, but you don't trust him because he's unpredictable—almost like a venus flytrap, ready to snap at you the moment you give in. 

"I don't trust you enough," you admit truthfully, and there's a sudden somber effect in Jimin's eyes, glowing deep through that charm as he stares at you intensely before asking,

"Are you afraid of me, Y/N?"

You fold your lips together, stifling a laugh. How could a flirty mochi ball possibly scare you away?

"You don't scare me like that," you tell him, hiding a smile. "Shorter gentlemen don't intimidate me as much."

Jimin barks a laugh, making you blush at your attempt to sound threatening. He sits up with a grin, amusement bubbling inside of him as he looks down at you.

"I can assure you—" he says, lips twitching into a smirk. "— that not every part of me is small."

You blink, dazzled by how smoothly inappropriate he's being with you right now. Jimin's smile slowly fades away. 

"Jungkook is our boss," he says. "He's a businessman who sometimes negotiates with illegal drug dealers in order to maintain his financial status. But we're different to him. We work for him and we work with him. We're close friends."

You nod. "Not to make this about me, but why does Jungkook make it seem like he knows me?" 

Jimin's eyes glimmer at you with slight admiration. "You're smart to pick that up," he smiles. "Maybe he's got a little thing for you?"

You snort, rolling your eyes. "If anything, he probably wants to kill me. Every time I try to talk to him, he just gets so tense and frustrated with me."

Jimin waves a hand at you. "He's like that with everyone. No hard feelings, sweetheart. Although--" he says, "I think maybe he knows you from somewhere. He's always asking us about your whereabouts. It's very unlikely for him to care so much about anyone."

The information does something fuzzy to your heart and you swallow, wracking your brain to change the subject. "Tell me about the file."

Jimin smiles at your attempt to dodge his previous remark.

He sits back comfortably, resting his head on an arm. "It was a deal," he answers cooly. "An illegal Spanish drug deal. We tried to expose it to the press, but you sort of just mingled in and now it's sitting at the bottom of the ocean, all lonely and sad."

The memory of Jungkook chasing after you for the file makes you blush. All of that for absolutely nothing.

"I didn't mean any of that to happen," you say in defense.

"Of course you didn't," agrees Jimin quickly. "None of this is your fault, Y/N. While Jungkook blames you for it, he doesn't actually mean it."

Yeah, no.

You weren't taking that. Partly because Jungkook hates you, and partly because you hate him twice as much. But you have to admit, the more time you spend with Jungkook, the more tolerable he gets. Either way, you don't like him.