59| Empty Promises

You're in fire.

It's so hot, you're melting in sweat, feeling the acrid scent of smoke swirl through your nose like a phantom.

Someone calls your name out with a fierce growl. A girl.

You open your eyes, shut them, open them again. "Bea?" You mumble. Was this deja vu?

"No. The other bitch," the voice says. You blink your eyes open, craning your head up to see Noel.

Ah. Your favorite person.

Her hair is messy, cheeks dusted with chalky white smoke. She no longer looks so scary to you anymore. You frown at her. "If I'm dead and you're here then I assume this is hell?"

She rolls her eyes at you. "Very funny. Get your ass up. The fire is spreading."

Fear catches in your throat and you strain yourself to stand with a grunt, feeling one of your ass cheeks go numb.

"Where's Jungkook?"

You recall your last moments with him—No, they're not going to be your last moments with him. You will see him again. You have to.

"Jungkook! Jimin!" You yell, looking through the thick smoke that clogs your vision and makes you cry.

From what you can tell, you're stuck somewhere in the Reaper's training area. There's a colorful hula-hoop stuck underneath a stone and a destroyed tent between the ruins of the tiles. There's nothing but grey bricks and crumbled pieces of equipment all around you.

Noel looks defeated but she's looking around this confined place calculatingly. "Y/N," she hisses secretively, and you turn to her. She points to a spot a little above a massive rock. "We can squeeze through that. What do you think?"

You squint. It was a hit or miss. If you do happen to squeeze past it, then great, but there was a tilted pillar on top of the rock. If that's not intact, then it'll fall right against you and the both of you will be sandwiched into a killing position.

Your heart beats rapidly as you gauge the place for better options but there's only flames of orange and yellow dancing hungrily around you, darkening anything that came close.

"It's worth a shot," you say, feeling the heat creep up to your spine. Noel nods at you curtly.

But the space to squeeze past the rock was too high up. You couldn't make it out with your short height. Noel, however, just needed to be on her tippy toes to reach the rock.

The thought makes you realize that she didn't need you. Only you needed her.

Knowing her, she would leave this hellhole without glancing back to see if you could make it.

You recall Bea. The way she betrayed you. The way you trusted her when she helped you up, only to stab you in the back the second you looked away. The thought makes a wave of pure angst claw your heart. She'll leave you.

Noel's face is sturdy–determined. She was ready to survive alone, even if it meant leaving you behind.

"Shit," you curse, feeling the hot flame burn the side of your thigh. "Hurry up," Noel says. "The fire will swallow us up. It's either now or now."

You inch closer to her. "You first."

Noel rolls her eyes at you, kneeling down under the massive rock. She brings her hands together, cupping them as a gesture for you to climb. You blink at her. "You're...making me go first?"

She gives you a wry look, tone laced with sarcasm. "What gave it away?"

Shaking your head at her, you take a deep breath before stepping on her hand, then you grab her head for support before you stretch your body up, praying to Jesus that the rock won't slip and fall against your head.