33| Sincerely, Bunny

"Make sure you don't come back."

Junghyun unlocks the door, and you hop off the car with a scoff. "I'll try not to."

You can't believe you're home already.

Outside, the familiar scent of your neighborhood stirs your senses, battering a certain spot in your heart that makes you shiver. It feels like you've awoken from a dream.

A few days ago, on this street, you were chased away by Jungkook on your way to an interview. In those few days, you were almost thrown into a different body—running around, shooting guns, and speeding past red lights.

Outside, it's starting to darken, the last few streaks of sunlight cascading below the dark sky. You turn to Junghyun's car, a woozy smile on your face.

He sends you a swift salute before stirring the car around with a single hand. You nod at him, feeling a fragment of emptiness slither in when you watch his car disappear beyond the horizon line.

But when you catch your pastel-cream house a few blocks away, the feeling fades away as fast as your metronome.

Home at last.

The breeze in your neighborhood is loud. The scent of corn dogs and seaweed.

With a breath, you step onto your front porch, wondering if your dad's home or not.

"Y/N?" A voice echoes through the buzzing light bulb that flickers on.

Shit.

You squint to watch your father hovering after the door frame in his cop attire, his chestnut hair brushed messily over his forehead. His face sparkles from sweat under the shaggy white light of the bulb.

It feels unreal to see him like this—the guilt of lying weighs you down.

"Jihoon," you voice out, waddling towards him like a penguin.

Seeing Park Jihoon's worried expression intuitively brings a smile to your face. He has always been protective of you.

He's not your biological father, but you like to think he is. Your biological father left when you were born. Ever since your mom remarried, you called him dad, but now the word is clogged into your throat.

Jihoon loves your mom so much he could hardly look at your face because you looked so much like her. The round eyes, the curly hair, the certain edge to your nose.

His eyebrows raise at you, his gelled hair gleaming under the saturated lights. He looks a little thinner, but still muscular on the shoulders. Face contorted, he steps toward you.

"Where in lord's name have you been? You were supposed to be back yesterday."

You flounder under his gaze of scrutiny.

Sorry, you wanted to choke out. I was kidnapped by a group of hot-ass men before shooting guns and driving sports cars. I nearly killed someone at a party and then jumped off a building twice. And I may have kissed a drug dealer. Twice. On the lips.

"I was at Lisa's," you lie, trying to keep your voice nonchalant. "I decided to catch up with her first because well—I don't know. She insisted. We were in a movie marathon before I realized the time. Sorry. I should have called you."

"Oh," he says, his shoulders slouching.

But you didn't miss the way his eyes taper slightly in speculation, causing you to peer away from his intense gaze. You walk past him to head straight toward the kitchen. You're starving.

Opening the fridge, you attack all the containers of food, balancing them in your arm as you walk towards the dining table. Jihoon follows soon after, his boots thumping in an irregular rhythm against the tiles.