Chapter 65

"No." Celine immediately rejected the emperor's proposal. She looked at Sir Vigos, who bowed his head in agreement. She opened her mouth in shock. "Are you both crazy? This country is not as developed as the Zionitte empire! They will crush this country. Even if you won the previous fight, it does not ensure your win."

"You underestimate Krastia, Celine. Our men are stronger and we also have allies-" Sir Vigos tried to interrupt but was cut off by Celine.

"They have more familiars! You can't kill them all."

"However, it is not a secret that their empire has been weakened. Did you not notice the power of Zionitte familiars have dwindled over time? Celine, our familiars make up the force of two armies while theirs make up one." The emperor interjected sternly.

"Yes, but you haven't won the hearts of the people yet so how will you command their sons to win a war for you? You must focus on internal affairs and winning the trust of your people first."

The two stared at one another, intense pressure building between them. Celine didn't believe in war that shed unnecessary blood, her previous life had been free of such a gruesome life. She couldn't accept that their decisions would result in thousands of fallen soldiers and grieving families. Victims along with their loved ones would be traumatized for a lifetime. Even if her current life normalized war and bloodshed, she didn't want to involve herself, although she knew there was no other way. She wanted to keep the peaceful life she had built over the past few years since she arrived in Krastia.

"War is inevitable. An empire will strive for harmony, and oftentimes there will be war to achieve this goal. As an Emperor, I know what our people need, and my power is enough to defeat a weak country. I have done it once, I will do it again." His voice was filled with warning, and although he had interest in Celine, she had no right to criticize his reign.

Celine also realized she couldn't openly criticize the emperor, and she bit her lip in response.

"I did not mean to offend your majesty. I apologize sincerely and hope you can forgive my humble self." She lowered her eyes in defeat, relieving the tense atmosphere immediately.

"In two days, I will gather the nobles and discuss military strategies and battle plans. Will you assist me?"

She raised her eyes again, and this time, it wasn't Zayden or Akihiko asking her. It was the Emperor commanding her. She bit her lip in disapproval.

"Yes your majesty. I will return in two days."

*******

Celine packed a year's worth of necessities after a formal invitation had arrived, detailing her needed presence. There was no telling how long she would be gone for, so she decided to travel without bringing anyone, refusing the help of Hala. She had hastily prepared for her departure by training Zakai how to take care of the business. She also made time to spend her last moments with the family until the bittersweet parting day finally arrived.

Ichika and Eiji were stuck to her legs, refusing to let her leave.

"At least leave Draco behind!" Eiji whined until Ichika pulled his ear as punishment.

"Shut up idiot! Are you saying that you will miss Draco more?" Ichika hissed.

"No. . ." Eiji whimpered.

Celine only laughed and gently removed herself from their grasp, planting a soft kiss on each of the children's forehead. Eiji and Ichika blushed, their eyes sparkling upon her sweet touch. They didn't understand why Celine was leaving, and they were too young to know what the emperor wanted.

"You must behave and take care of each other since Draco won't be around too often anymore. Take care of your mother and Hala, and don't annoy Zakai too much, okay?"

"Then you must come back home as soon as you finish." Eiji tugged her simple dress. Celine's appearance was unreal, as if she was only a beautiful legend who would disappear and never return. She had purposefully hidden her features with layers of fabric, yet her mannerism seemed to demand for respect.

Home. The word rang repeatedly in her ear as she continued her farewell.

"You never know, she might return as the Empress." The mother joked lightly.

"But my home is here." Celine shook her head and smiled. "I will return soon. Take care of yourselves."

She hugged the woman who resembled her own mother, and the moment felt bittersweet. She felt tears threatening to leave her colored eyes. She desperately didn't want to leave this peaceful life. She wanted to watch the children grow, witness Zakai and Hala's wedding, and continue to build upon her business.

She turned to Hala and embraced her tightly. Hala was already shaking, weeping as she clung to Celine desperately. "Please stay safe, my lady. I am afraid you will be alone and that the Emperor will not treat you well."

Zakai pulled her away, nodding his head with deep respect as they shared a knowing look. He was now the head of the family, who would take over the business on his own and protect the household. Celine trusted that Zakai would not disappoint her and continue his tasks well. After all, he had proven himself over the years.

"I have Draco, I will not be alone, Hala. Take care of your own body, and be sure to write me letters."

Their parting lasted for a long time, for the family loved Celine dearly, and they did not know when she would return. However, they didn't doubt that she would return safely. Their last conversation was filled with promise and hope, just as a family would send their own child to war.