Chapter 32

"You're truly going crazy!" Celine snapped out of her thoughts and nearly pinched herself. She was horrified by the wicked contemplations that had almost consumed her a couple of seconds ago.

She jumped out of her seat and away from the corner of the small workspace. Celine decided to take a walk in order to cleanse herself from the darkness threatening to overtake her again. She quietly wandered  towards the Japanese-style pavilion with a deep frown creasing her forehead.

Celine was astonished by how evil a human can be, and she was momentarily scared of herself. 

I actually considered murdering a group of people! I thought about committing mass murder! Genocide!

"I'm too comfortable here." She was beginning to normalize murder, and the harsh realities of this world was slowly imbedding its way into her moral principles, corrupting them.

Celine quickened the pace and sprinted across the bridge until the wind carried her previous thoughts away. 

Her mind drifted towards her mother, and pictured the gentle silhouette of an elderly woman.  She picked up a hibiscus flower and reminisced the forgotten past. Celine stared blankly at the flower as if it had lost its special meaning.

A fleeting emotion passed over Celine. She was disappointed by the lack of fatherly love in her previous life too.

She remembered complaining to her mother as a child. She had thrown tantrums, for little Yeon-Woo had to endure countless embarrassments when her father never bothered to show up for any school sanctioned events including recitals, father-and-daughter dance, or festivals. He had never shown her affection, or even looked at her proudly when he was at home.  

"How am I supposed to know how a man should treat me when I was abandoned by my own father!" She had drowned in self-pity and sorrow. It was during the time her parents had finally separated. Little Yeon-Woo was confused and naively believed that her world was falling apart.

Yeon-Woo's mother had only apologized, remaining strong for her only daughter.

"Why did you apologize, mom." Celine whispered and let go of the flower.

Even in this life, my parents are trash. I only have you.

Because Celine was occupied by her bittersweet memories, she failed to notice a small child watching Celine from the side of the bridge. 

Oren had been crying by the bridge because he was lost. He sniffled his tears as he recognized his pretty sister and clumsily waddled towards the silvery figure.

"Caelina!" 

His high pitched yell snapped Celine out of her trance and she lowered her head to see a familiar, curly haired boy who barely reached her hips. His doe eyes were puffy as if he had been crying for some time. Oren lightly pulled her garments with a flushed, chubby cheeks. She smiled at his adorable cuteness.

"Oren." She wiped the tears trickling down his cheeks with her fingers. "What are you doing here?"

"I am lost!" He blushed in embarrassment and avoided her gaze.

Oh my, how cute.

"Take my hand, I will safely return you to your father." She outstretched her hand and smiled as warmly as she could.

As Oren slowly accepted her hand, he became more comfortable around Celine and asked many questions. They were beginning to cross the bridge when he swamped her with his inquiries. 

"Are you really my sister?" He asked.

"Why do you ask?" Celine raised her eyebrows in amusement.

"Because you look more like an angel."

Celine peered over at Oren, who was completely serious.

"Well, you can say I'm otherworldly." She smirked. He tilted his head slightly, and turned away in embarrassment because he couldn't interpret her reply. 

"Do you hate me?"

"No. I don't hate you."

This answer seemed to brighten Oren up immediately, who had been slightly sullen and hesitant when asking that question. 

"Even though my mother replaced your mother?" Oren asked earnestly.

Children are too direct and honest sometimes. Celine mused to herself. l like it.

"Yes. I hate your father, but a child is always blameless." Celine replied.

Oren smiled and jumped up with happiness. Oren's mother had always told him to avoid his only sister. He couldn't wait to tell her that she was mistaken. He didn't press on any further, for even Oren knew that it would be rude to question her further. Instead, he happily admired his pretty sister, who held his hand delicately. He then noticed a red mark on one of her cheeks.

"What happened to your cheek, older sister?"

"Your father hit me." She replied bluntly.

"Oh.." Oren frowned, and seemed to be flustered by such a response. "I'll scold father for you!"

"You're not scared of your father?"

"No!" Oren scoffed. "My dad is not scary at all! He's scared of mommy and listens to me well!"

"Good." Celine smiled again. She let go of his tiny hands as they neared the front gates of the palace, where Sir Viliga waited anxiously for his son. She pat Oren's head and gently pushed him forward. "This is as far as I will go with you. Walk straight ahead, for your father is there waiting for you. I also think it is best for you to keep our meeting today a secret."

"Okay sister Caelina! I will come visit again!" Celine nodded then released her hand. Oren gave her a small, final wave before running towards his father's embrace.

She hid behind a pillar and watched their sweet interaction. Although Sir Viliga had been poorly beaten, he smiled in relief at Oren's return. His eyes flickered and softened, and he held his son with care. 

As Celine returned to her chambers, she found herself walking past her door. Her feet refused to enter and continued to proceed towards the Second Prince's residence. As soon as she saw the familiar face of Prince Zayden, Celine's lips began to quiver uncontrollably. She began to blink repeatedly and eventually couldn't stop the streaming flow of tears as she ran into Zayden's warm embrace. It was as if her defenses had automatically fallen apart at the Second Prince's appearance. His skinny figure seemed to be her greatest source of comfort. He tightly wrapped his arms around her waist while she buried her face in his neck, breathing in his rosy scent mixed with sweat. 

"Why couldn't our fathers be better? Why couldn't they love us a little more?"

Her wails continued, yet she was strangely relieved, for there was someone who would always care for her like this.