Chapter 78

The Krastians had suffered a major blow today, yet the Zionittes acted as if they had lost. Zavia watched in annoyance as many soldiers committed suicide as the guilt literally consumed them.

"Was my plan that evil?" She asked no one in particular. She wrapped her arms around emperor Laith's neck and patted his soft, golden hair like a loyal dog.

Celine's father had been furious by her proposal and couldn't stand Zavia anymore. He had rejected the surprise tactic proposed by her. The concubine had simply stabbed the old man and thrown him down a hill.

"Then join their side." 

He was left to die and the Zionittes had no choice but to obey her orders. It was a sleepless night for the remaining soldiers, who were anxious for their own healers and apprentices. 

*****

Sometimes, Celine would leave her tent to treat others. She had taught each of the soldiers how to perform basic self-medication procedures and disinfect their wounds. She only looked for soldiers who had more serious injuries before returning to her private space. She was the only healer left, and the soldiers urged Celine to rest in order to preserve her strength. Eli would watch over Aaron and call her if he began to show signs of a fever.

She entered the tent one last time to check up on Eli and Aaron. Eli was huddled close to Aaron, possessively watching over him with fondness and deep affection. It tore Celine's heart that they experienced such a heart wrenching event as adolescents. The suffering in Eli's eyes broke Celine.

"Hey." Celine greeted hoarsely as she walked over to sit next to Eli.

He jumped up and was about to bow when Celine stopped him.

"My l-lady, thank you so much for saving my little brother. Without you, A-aron might've. . . not been with us." His doey eyes were huge and filled with unshed tears. He continued to kneel and place his forehead to the ground, sincerely thanking her for saving Aaron.

Celine awkwardly waved her hand and ushered him to sit up straight. "Your brother is an angel to all of us. This should've never happened in the first place."

Eli clenched his fist and nodded, his expression hardening.

"My lady is the angel!" He blurted and blushed in embarrassment. "You saved my brother when I thought all was lost. I was about to lose myself, go mad even! I am truly indebted to your highness. I will never forget and I will vow to be a soldier worthy of you."

She laughed softly at his vow, and Eli's ears turned red too as he clamped his mouth shut. "Thank you, Eli. You are not indebted to me, this is my job. Actually, whoever did this to Aaron was quite merciful. He didn't reach any vital points or tear any tissues. He just lost a lot of blood because he's young with a small body. He will live." Celine informed him matter of factly and blushed in embarrassment. She wasn't sure how else to comfort a teenager except with facts. However, Eli didn't seem to mind and was reassured.

"How old are you?" Celine asked.

"I am 17, your highness."

She sucked in a breath. It's his first fight. He had just become a soldier and was barely old enough to protect his brothers.

"Oh. . . Well Eli, I'm sorry for your loss today. I'm sure your brothers are watching over you right now." She smiled sadly.

"No no. . I will avenge them. I will make sure those devils pay for what they did." His eyes that were brimming with tears had become determined with deep hatred and lust for vengeance. Celine could tell that he would one day be a great warrior or go down a bitter path.

"I will also see to it that they will never get away with what they've done." Celine moved closer and gave him a warm hug, one that reminded Eli of his mother. Knowing how shocked his mother would be if news of the massacre reached their ears, he began to sob like a child. Ever since he had journeyed to the battlefield, he had put up a cold front in order to act as the eldest son. However, his brothers had been killed while Aaron was in a deep coma. He felt utterly alone and shameful, as if the sad bitterness would consume him. Celine's embrace seemed to calm his depressing thoughts and release all the tension in his body as he leaned into her for support.

"Why don't you tell me about your brothers instead of crying. I know they wouldn't want to be remembered by a cruel death nor would they want their names to bring sadness." She smiled and intently listened to Eli, who slowly began to show a small smile.